Good "beginners" recordings of Haden?

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Tbeers, May 31, 2005.

1. Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I hear everyone talking about Charlie Haden, and I know he's famous, but I haven't heard much of his music at all. After doing a search on iTunes, a lot came up, but I didn't recognize many of the tunes. I am just wondering if there are any records where he plays (perhaps as a sideman?) on a bunch of standards or things that I might recognize. For my first experiences listening to Haden, I want to have a familiar point of reference. Then I can move on to other things. Any suggestions?

2. Under his name, I suggest starting with the Montreal Tapes (a couple volumes). Also try John Scofield's CD entitled "Time on My Hands" and some of the Pat Metheney stuff. Hope this helps...
  3. Any of his 'Quartet West' sides are good places to start...IMO
    I like the duo sides he's done with many of the great pianists such as Hampton Hawes.
    If you can handle it, any of the Ornette Coleman things. The bass duet with Scott LaFaro on FREE JAZZ is priceless.
  4. olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    I'd would add Old and New Dreams (ECM, 1979) which includes Lonely Woman, an essential Ornette Colman composition, & Liberation Music Orchestra (Impulse 1969), an essential jazz album.
    I love the more recent duet with Kenny Baron, Night and the City (Verve 1996), to me it's a good exemple of how Haden can set back and just provide good accompainment. But it is not very demonstrative...
  5. oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    ornette coleman's "the shape of jazz to come" and "change of the century", Geri Allen's "eye of the dragon"
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Are these really good "beginners" recommendations?

Aren't they likely to put a beginner to Jazz, off it completely... ;)
  7. I don't see where T stated he was a beginner to jazz...just a new listener to CH. I thought about that when I suggested the Ornette Free Jazz, but the duo basses on that side is such a pearl, I feel anybody with almost any background in serious music can 'get it'.
    The beautiful parts of Charlie for me are his sound, his feel and how he plays off of other people. It's difficult to pidgeon hole most of his work.
    Besides, i'm familiar with T's posts..he may be young , but he ain't no dummy.
  8. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Hampton Hawes/ Charlie Haden..."As Long As There's Music".

Might be hard to find.

Keith Jarrett..."Death And The Flower". Charlie named this as one of his best performances.
  9. olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Yes, but he uses often a sort of pedal notes alternating with chromatic variations around another note. (Maybe I should go and dig out an example to illustrate this, but I'm not at home right now. Hopefully smbdy sees what I mean.)
  10. Bruce Lindfield

I was just thinking it was funny - that is, amusing, to think of somebody completely new to Jazz, being given these recommendations!!

So I have two recent recordings which are very gentle and beautiful, as well as showcasing fantastic acoustic bass tone, which I can imagine anybody liking :

So there is the 2001 album under his own name - "Nocturne" (Cuban Ballads)
    And the 2004 duo record with great Brit Pianist John Taylor - "NightFall"
  11. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    ^^^ Paul Motian, Charlie Haden, Joe Lovano, Bill Frissel playing all Broadway show tunes (standards)...They play the verse to many of these tunes, including Body and Soul, which is just beautiful. Everyone should check this one out.
  12. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    "If you can handle it...?"

Remember Free Jazz wouldn't be free if yo uhad to pay for it...
  13. oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK

they were two of the first jazz albums I knew and loved...
  14. Don't get yer fuzz up Z....This may be news to you, but not everybody can handle Ornette.
  15. Bruce Lindfield

Yeah - no problem, I was just thinking that I have quite a few albums with Charlie Haden that are fairly "easy listening" - very pleasant, gentle etc. - but with wonderful bass tone.

While there are others that are "hard listening" - I was thinking it made more sense to suggest the former over the latter to a "beginner"....?

But of course it comes down to personal taste.
  16. Bruce Lindfield

I just had a thought that made me laugh - so the CD version is one, long, continuous piece, 37 minutes long!

The original poster was talking about downloading tracks via the net - so they are talking nowadays, about the charts being based on downloads rather than record sales - I would like to bet that if there is a comprehensive Chart based on number of downloads - "Free Jazz" would be right at the bottom!! ;)

I mean - even symphonies, usually have separate movements! :D
  17. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    It's OK Paul...Just playin' wif you dear.
  18. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    A second vote for "Night and the City". Charlie's playing on this is so simple that it's almost paradoxical. Barron's "Wanton Spirit" with Haden and Roy Haynes is also excellent, and Charlie's walking solo on "Take the Coltrane" is probably the only walking solo I've ever heard that moved me greatly. Another good choice would be Michael Brecker's self-titled debut as a leader.
  19. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Second for Wanton Spirit, this is one of my favorites.
  20. greg garrison

greg garrison

Apr 12, 2005
    if you want some standards, "Alone Together" with Brad Mehldau and Lee Konitz is cool. I still think the Liberation Music Orchestra album "Dream Keeper" is one of the best things he's ever done. Is this still in print? Also "Golden Number" and "Closeness" have some good Charlie, but kind of hard to find. Oh yeah, and the Metheny record "80/81" is killer. And all the other ones mentioned above. Gonna go listen to Montreal Tapes with Paul Bley and Paul Motion now myself!