Good Beginners Violin suggestions

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by ImNotGeddyLee, May 9, 2003.

1. So im looking to learn the violin and was wondering if anyone here has any suggestion of a cheap (under $100) beginners violin... I just want something to start with to see if i really like it but I also dont want a total piece of crap (I have seeing beginner bass players getting really cheap crappy basses that make it harder for them to learn).

thanx alot
  2. JJBluegrasser

JJBluegrasser Wannabe Snazzy Dresser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC
    While I don't know much about violins, I would say that as a rule of thumb, paying less than $100 for any instrument puts you at a high risk of getting something of low quality. I'd say that you'll have better luck if you spend at least $300 to $1000. Like I said, I'm no fiddle player (sorry guys, violin) but that's just my 2 cents.
  3. I would suggest that you find a music store that offers violins with a "rent to buy" option.
  4. tsolo

Aug 24, 2002
    Ft. Worth
    here in texas, i can get a pretty decent student violin for around 250 - 300 dollars. i would think you can do the same. if you don't have any luck, PM me and i'll look around....
  5. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Check Axelrod in Providence, I think they rent to own, if you don't like it, give it back.

Main Music in E Greenwich used to do this, but Everett passed away, I don't know if the new owners do. The number used to be 885-1017

6. LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    Agreed on the Rent to Own being the best option. A plain old monthly rental on a good student violin would be a good second choice. You can try it out for a month or two and then decide if you really want to buy one. Any violin for 100 dollars or less is going to sound so downright lousy and loaded with squeeling overtones that you will not stick with it very long. You'll need to at least get one that's certified as a "Student Violin" at minimum. I forget what the certifying organization is called. A good starter violin is something like the Euro Basic's. They run a couple hundred and at least don't squeak and screech as much. I'd avoid those el cheapos like the Palatinos that populate Ebay. Two fighting squalling cats would sound better musically....
  7. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    if you buy a 100 violin. you will hate the cheep peice of garbage so much you will never want to learn it. When i started i had a violin that was 250-300 (cant remember, i was 6) and it was still crap. Rent or borrow a better one to give yourself a clearer idea of what a violin is actually like.
  8. Heifetzbass

Heifetzbass Commercial User

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    Owner, Gencarelli Bass Works and Fine String Instruments, LLC.
    I would assume he found one, since this thread is six years old... :eek:
  9. My god, Brian.......The O.P. is prolly dead by now. :atoz: shoulda' checked in a bit earlier.
  10. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Here's a recent pic of the OP....
  11. Looks pretty good, I'd say! I figured He'd look more like this...

Attached Files:

12. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    According to his profile the OP was born in 1984, so there's a good chance he's still kicking.

If he found a decent fiddle at the time he could be a good player by now! :)
  13. well, his profile does say he has a chinese violin with maybe yes..
  14. Heifetzbass

Heifetzbass Commercial User

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    Owner, Gencarelli Bass Works and Fine String Instruments, LLC.
    Must've scared Ingrid away... bad Warburton, bad. :D