Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good/"Best" strings for a late model P bass?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Usul, Apr 30, 2001.

1. Will probably be taking my P bass in to have a pearloid picguard and bridge cover put on in the near future....also maybe a setup(?).Just wondering what would be a really nice set of strings to put on her....I want some strings that will compliment/enhance that classic P bass sound.As always,your suggestions are appreciated!
    :)

Usul

p.s.flatwounds?do they have a place in modern music? ;)

2. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Get yerself some TI Jazz flats.You'll think you died and went to P bass heaven!!!REALLY!These things sound so good on P's its amazing.If you want to go with rounds they offer a very simmilar string(Jazz rounds)and Power bass rounds.They are a bit pricey but WELL worth it.You can get them from Steve(Dude)Barr over at the Dudepit/vintage bass trading co.He's a great guy and will give you a good price.So far ive only tried the flats but will be ordering both rounds.Not that theres anything wrong with the flats!Im just curious.Good luck!

3. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    I'll agree with Bernie 100% here. TI jazz flats for sure.

4. Yeah, TI's are great. I don't have a P Bass, but I have a Yamaha RBX260 fretless, but it has the P pickup, so there are similarities. Either way, they sound very nice, and smooth, I'm not sure how much that would change. I like mine though.

5. Ok,I`m ignorant but.....what does "TI" stand for? Do you think my putting flatwounds on the p bass would sound good with the music I play(mainly alt. rock and newer stuff).Would the flats give me a "dated" or "vintage" sound that does`nt lend itself to more "modern" tunes? Thanks for the responses yall!~ :)

6. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    TI-Thomastik Infeld.I think these would work well for most any style music.They cut/sound great with a band as well as playing alone.For an (primarily) old school sound Fender 9050's are pretty good but i MUCH prefer the TI's in ANY setting.Good luck!

7. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Another vote for the TI jazz flats. I put them on my 97 Am Deluxe P a couple of weeks ago, and the difference in tone from the old strings I replaced was astounding. Also, they cut through a mix like nothing I've ever played. They're more expensive than most other strings, but they're supposed to last forever and the tone is supposed to improve with age. I can't wait to find out.