Good Blues Harp Players

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BassWizard55, Feb 24, 2003.

1. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    I have recently taken up the harmonica, and I would like to know who are some of the great harp players (any genre)?

I am currently listening to Magic Dick, John Popper, Jimmie Wood, and Little Walter. What are the other great blues harpists.

Also I would like to listen to Jazz and classical harp. Does anyone know good ensembles of any recordings of these type of players?
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Well your talking about harmonica and not the harp.....which is a bummer cause I was going to give props to one of the worlds ONLY Jazz harpists
    laurie andrews(there are like 10 in the world)...I've studied with her husband who is a fantastic studio bassist, and man....Jazz harp is some crazy crazy stuff.

but Toots thielman is an amazing harmonica player...her played with Jaco in the Word of Mouth
  3. Check out Rick Estrin of Little Charlie and the Nightcats. Very weird dude, but one hell of a harp player. I think their stuff is on Alligator Records.

Cool bass player they have too- Dobie Strange- very smooth.
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

In order to make this thread title a little easier to understand, I took the liberty of adding the word 'blues'.
  5. You might dig a little John Mayall with or without the Bluesbreakers
  6. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
  7. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Paul Jones - "The Blues Band"
  8. I'll repeat Jason's suggestion for Junior Wells. I'll also mention Charlie Musselwhite for when you're ready for some jazzier stuff.
  9. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Dan Aykroyd AKA Elwood Blues of the Blues Bros plays a pretty mean harp,

Check out any of there albums.
  10. Some of my favouriites include:

Snooky Prior :)
    (the late) Paul Butterfield :(
    Al Lerman (local Toronto player with Fathead) :cool:
    John Mayall, especially on "Turning Point" LP
    Magic Dick (with J Geils) - more rock, but blues-based

The best all time, IMHO, was Richard Newell - stage name King Biscuit Boy (nicknamed after the old radio show). Passed away just this January. Incredible blowing, and singing/songwriting. Had a big problem with the bottle though, and never made it as big as his initial promise in the late 60's, early 70's.

Played with Ronnie Hawkins and Crowbar as well as on his own. Here is an obit column with more info.

King Biscuit Boy Obituary
  11. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga

Oh, was that really Dan Akroyd playing?

12. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Some of my favorites are:
    Bob Dylan (either you can dig his voice or you can't, but he can wail on the harp and IMO the harmonica parts are what really make a lot of his stuff work)
    Ozzy Osbourn on The Wizard by Sabbath and a few other early Sabbath tunes.
    Frank Zappa & The Mothers of Invention have quite a few tunes with good blues harp, unfortunatly I don't know who's playing it and I'm drawing a blank on any ot the titles right now.
  13. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Sunny Boy Williamson
    Junior Wells
    James Cotton
    Carey Bell

Youve Got Little Walter hes Bad:cool:

14. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

My absolute favorite is Junior Wells. There are many more. Oh, an important note...there are TWO Sonny Boy Williamsons. They are known as Sonny Boy Williamson I and Sonny Boy Williamson II. No kidding.

Other harpists of note are Sonny Terry, "Little" Jimmy Reed, Rod Piazza, Slim Harpo, Paul de Lay and John Hammond, Jr.

In rock, check out John Popper of Blues Traveler, Steven Tyler (Aerosmith) and the great Bob Dylan.
  15. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    Thanks for all the responces guys.
  16. Can't believe no one's mentioned Lee Oskar, He also sells a fine line of Harmonica's. Delbert McClinton is also a very tasteful player.
  17. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    I'd add the late William Clark to the already mentioned james cotton, lee oskar, cary bell, memphis charlie musselwhite, little charlie/nightcats, also a local madison wisconsin dude "westside" andy Linderman is pretty good too--has a cd w/ Mel Ford
  18. They have already been said but for me the best are Paul Butterfield and James Cotton.