1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good Blues Solos to Transcribe...

Discussion in 'Ask Janek Gwizdala' started by needmoney, Mar 14, 2008.

1. I'm spending a lot of time at the moment on getting the blues down in all 12 keys for Uni and would like some good/essential solos to transcribe.

Anywhere from simple to crazy, but essentially I'd just like some groovy, melodic solos that nicely outline your typical 12 bar blues form (I |IV |I |I |IV |IV |I |VI |ii |V |I, VI |ii, V|etc.).

Thanks all!

2. janekbass

janekbass

Jan 28, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Founder and CEO of http://janeksbassstudio.com
    well I would look into the history of the blues a little and go back to some recordings of lead belly, Henry Thomas, Bessie Smith, Muddy Waters, WIllie Dixon, Jimmy Reed... there are so many. But I would start there with the old stuff to get the real feeling of the blues. Check out their different forms from 8, 12, and 16 bar blues. Then work through the history of the music. Check out all the major bands that were influenced by old blues music like the Rolling Stones. And then of course get into the John Lee Hooker, BB king, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Lightning hopkins, Jeff Beck.... the list is endless.

There are some jeff beck bootlegs floating around that I would try and get hold of and check out if you're into a more modern thing. And all of the SRV/double trouble stuff is incredible.

Easy,

Janek