Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

good blues songs...

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bass__player01, Mar 13, 2003.

1. hello everybody...

i'd like to have a few good blues song... 'cause blues is a kind of music i'd like to play but i'm not very familiar with....

if any of you would have any good sugestions please :)

thank you

2. simonrex22

simonrex22

Mar 2, 2003
    go get some Led Zeppelin cds

3. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I don't think tabs are what you need at this stage. I would suggest:

1. Searching for 'blues' and see what you can glean from that (if too broad, try this one).

2. If you can't find any threads to add to, ask in general instruction (about the basics of blues playing) and recording (for suggestions of blues artists to listen to - Led Zeppelin will give you some great lessons in the fusion of blues and rock, but that's only a fraction of the picture)

3. Go down to the crossroads at midnight and ... no, wait, probably best to scratch that one - you can now log onto the Internet at any time of day or night for the same effect :D

Wulf

4. topic DB "tablature"
    thread DB "this thread"

mov ax,topic
    mov bx,tabz
    cmp ax,bx ; Search the thread for tablature-related content.
    jne @general_instruction ; Move thread if no match is found.

* poof * :rolleyes: ;)

5. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Oh, Zeppelin is SO derivative...;-)

Just go get yourself some Muddy Waters CDs - the father of the electric blues and who Zeppelin, Stones, et al. ripped off extensively.

While you're at it, go get the Lightnin' Hopkins box set (gotta have some Texas blues in there).

Albert King, Fabulous T-Birds, Arcangels, Buddy Guy are good starting points for more contemporary stuff.

DD

6. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    LOL! That's one way to do it.

7. Uncle Fat

Uncle Fat Guest

Mar 14, 2003
    Portland, OR
    Pick up one of the Tab Benoit CDs that have Steve Bailey playing bass. "what I live for" is a good one. Bailey manages to create really interesting non-stereotypical lines and still doesn't over play the song. That's the mark of a real blues bass player.

8. Uncle Fat

Uncle Fat Guest

Mar 14, 2003
    Portland, OR
    Johnny B Gayden who used to play with Albert Collins is a great blues player. Also, you HAVE to check out Roscoe Beck from the Roben Ford band. He's the real deal. Tommy Shannon of Stevie Ray fame is not flashy, but solid as stone. There are MANY others.

If you're lucky, and your town has a good blues scene. There are usually blues jam sessions at clubs in most places, just do an internet search for your local blues society / association. They should be able to hip you to these things. Jam sessions are a great place to learn. You can watch, or get up and play. It's kind of hit and miss as far as the talent of the people you get to play with, but blues musicians are very supportive and helpful. Just go out and enjoy!

9. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Yah a second on the muddy waters stuff. COntrary to what seems to be popular belief, there are a few SRV songs that have a good blues vibe and are fun to play with, even if a lot of it is simple 12-bar. Some of the old blues brothers and blues traveler stuff is fun for some more rock/blues fusion fun. Susan Tedeschi has some good stuff as well.

10. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Zeppelin has some bluesy songs, but I wouldn't consider them essential Blues. If you want to get Blues off of Zeppelin, don't go further than Zeppelin II. After that, they stray further and further from the Blues. I don't think that Over the Hills and Far Away, or Kasmir are Blues. It's like saying that Heavy Metal musicians should listen to Jethro Tull, or Punk musicians should listen to the GoGos (yes the GoGos used to do Punk).

Learn some version of Stormy Monday, and Sweet Home Chicago and you will figure out a slow Blues, and a Shuffle groove

Here's some people to listen to:
    Chicago Blues (from my Hometown!): Buddy Guy, Muddy Waters, Magic Sam, Howlin Wolf
    Texas Blues - Stevie Ray Vaughan, Freddy King, Albert Collins, Fabulous Thunderbirds
    Other Essential Blues - Albert King (Rules!), BB King, T Bone Walker, Elmore James

I know I' forgetting people, but don't want to overwhelm.

11. Robert Cray "Right Next Door"

New blues that kicks booty.