Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good book for learning how to sight read?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by muthagoose, May 25, 2004.

1. muthagoose

muthagoose

Jan 18, 2004
    Sweden
    I thought I'd get serious about learning how to read music and I'm looking for a good book. I can understand notes pretty well, but I'm not as good as reading as I'd like to be, so I'm looking for a book that starts pretty basic and goes on to some advanced rythms and stuff like that.

Any recommendations are much obliged!

2. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
  3. The Molto Music Essential Sightreading books are the best I have come across. Check out the Molto Music website for more info on them, they sound like just what you are looking for, there are 3 volumes, getting increasing harder;more complex rhythms, sixteenth notes etc...

ps. I assume you are the same muthagoose as the one on MX??

4. muthagoose

muthagoose

Jan 18, 2004
    Sweden
    Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for your recommendations!

And yes, I post every now and then at MX :)

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
  6. Great article :)

But I assume those books will be hard to get hold of, especially since muthagoose is in Sweden, I know how hard it is to get rare bass books/videos outside America!

7. muthagoose

muthagoose

Jan 18, 2004
    Sweden
    Yeah, I e-mailed Molto Music about them shipping to Europe or if they could recommend a dealer that would ship outside of the US. Haven't gotten an answer yet, but I'm hoping it can be arranged in some way since those Molto Music books seems to be exactly what I'm looking for.

And romac, I forgot to ask, do you post at MX aswell? If you do, I presume you use a different nick?

8. muthagoose can I recommend www.bassbooks.com. This is where I get my books shipped to the middle east. This is also where I bought the Molto Music books from. I just go this info from the website:

SHIPPING TO EUROPE: USPS Air Mail to Europe is normally 4-7 busniess days. The cost is $10.00 for the first title and $2.00 for each additional title.

I recommend you buy a few books since buying just one isn't very cost efficient.

Hope that helped.

Oh and on MX, I don't post regularly but I'm RaDiOhEaD_fAn

9. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    [​IMG]

10. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    I have found the Simandl double bass method book (I don't know the exact name at the moment) and this book to be helpful for reading practice: Modern Arban-St. Jacome Comprehensive Course for Trombone or Baritone by Harvey S. Whistler

I know the first one says double bass and the second one says trombone, but bass clef is bass clef, and practice is practice. :)

There are a bunch of exercises and many tunes are recognizeable and pretty easy reading, for the most part.

Also, for me, transposing whatever from one key to another is pretty good practice, especially for recognizing intervals on the staff...

edit: I don't know if either book I mentioned has been in print any time recently, fyi. The Simandl book is probably available though, I'd guess.
    Leanne

11. ivanthetrble

ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    Orygun
    The best thing I have found is not a book. Check out the Reading Muisc for Bassists I & II classes at www.musicdojo.com

12. Yeah I'm taking the Reading level 1 class at musicdojo.com. It's superb.

13. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Go with Benjamin Strange's recommendation. It's a fantastic book.

14. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I liked it HELLSBELLS. A few suggestions might be to add a refresh link to make it easier to do another round, and to add notes with accidentals and more ledger lines. It seemed to choose a lot of the same notes over and over again.

15. Ultimo_Dragon21

Ultimo_Dragon21

Apr 29, 2004
    Im using Mel Bay's "You Can Teach Yourself Electric Bass" It really explains sight reading and technique well, especially for total noobs like me :p

16. Like I said, still in test fase. How many ledger lines do I need for bass?

About the accidentals: I programmed it to make it easier to add stuff like that. I can just add more notes if I feel like doing it. Maybe I'll get to it tomorrow.

17. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    One below, up to 4 above?

Anyway, I think the best way to get better at reading music is to just play really. I joined a pit orchestra and my sight reading has gotten much better. It also helped build my chops as well my ability to play in cut time.

18. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida

Definatly a great book and at a very reasonable price I only paid $9.95 + tax for mine.