1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good book to follow when teaching

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Basshoofd, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Basshoofd

Basshoofd

Jan 14, 2009
    Netherlands
    I have a friend who is starting to play bass. He wants to play for fun and doesn't want to pay for lessons. I offered to be his teacher for free.

I'm not a professional teacher, but I do know plenty about music in general. However, I'd like to structure the lessons instead of just throwing random bits of information at him. Can anyone recommend a good book to follow? I'm looking for something that we can work through together, starting with the most basic material then slowly working up to the more advanced stuff.

2. greggster59

greggster59

Oct 31, 2006
    New Jersey
  3. jmac

jmac

May 23, 2007
    Horsham, Pa
  4. Basshoofd

Basshoofd

Jan 14, 2009
    Netherlands
    The Bass Bible seems interesting but I don't think it's really aimed for the beginner. Thanks for the suggestion though.

The Harmony and Theory is a really nice book for the theory aspect, thanks for that. Now I just need something that covers the rest!

5. no one book in particular.....a good teacher will help a student find the answers on his own.....almost any method has the basics,but if you can motivate the student to sit down and work out stuff like the chord tones,and provide material for reading practice you can suggest books for specific areas....ie walking....pick an ed,technique/slap.....there are tons

6. cubanbass

cubanbass Gold Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2006
    Hoboken, NJ
    Improvisers Bass Method by Chuck Sher. IMO is one of the best books I have found for teaching. From basic to advanced it provides exercises and methods that are encouraging and musical.

http://www.shermusic.com/new/0961470100.shtml