Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good book to learn Afro-Cuban and Latin rhythms on bass

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Rafterman, Jan 31, 2002.

1. do any of you guys know a good book that teaches Afro-Cuban and Latin rhythms on the bass?

I've heard some nice things about the Play-Along book with John Pattitucci, but are there any others that may be better?

2. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    "The Latin Bass Book" By Oscar Stagnaro & Chuck Sher

3. I'll second that suggestion for the book, Funkifying the Clave, that JoseNeville just mentioned. I got it last year and it's a really great book. There are a lot of exercises for different styles. Plus it's not just a beginner's book either. It seems to go fairly in depth and some exercises can get fairly complicated, so it's not something you'll look at twice and then put on the shelf.

4. You can also check the magazine Bassics. Ray Ramirez have a column about Salsa. Also, you have to listen great latin bassits. Like Sal Cuevas, Eddie "Guagua" Rivera, Lincon Goines, Carlitos del Puerto, Ruben Rodriguez, Bobby Valentin, and others.

Note: John Pattitucci is a great jazz player but he is learning how to play latin jazz.

5. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2001
    The Midwest of USA
    I'll third the Goines/Ammen book.

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...I'll 'fourth' the Goines/Ammeen book & cds.
    If a dummy like me can understand it, it's gotta be special.
    Too, there's drum stuff(Ammeen's section)that should be invaluable for the bassist to hone in on.

The True Cuban Bassist by Carlos Del Puerto of Irakere is also decent.

Others I like, though, not entirely 'bass'-related-
    The Salsa Guide Cookbook-Rebecca Mauleon
    101 Piano Montunos-Rebecca Mauleon
    ...try playing on yer bass what the pianist's right hand does during a montuno comp. Man! ;)

Phil-
    How 'bout a little more data on that Stagnaro/Sher book...I'm interested, just wonderin'. Thanks.

...another great Latin bassist-
    Andy Gonzalez. Ya gotta check out Jerry Gonzalez & The Fort Apache Band...they excel at both types of music: Latin AND Jazz. ;)

7. I forgot Andy Gonzalez, Thanks JimK.
    Others very important latin bassists are Boby Rodriguez, John Benitez, Israel "Cacho" Lopez, Jose Gazmey.

8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I'll add to the list for "Funkifying The Clave" (I'm still trying to nail the Tumbao independance exercise...), and second Carlos Del Puerto's excellent "The True Cuban Bass".

One bassist that wasn't mentioned was Juan Formell from Los Van Van. I opened up for them once, and he scared the snot out of me, playing all those syncopated bass lines and SINGING at the same time. Wow...just....wow...

9. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000

It comes with 3 play along CD's, has 261 pages, with 5 sections.

1. The Tumbao Bass Line
    2. Other Afro-Cuban Styles
    3. Brazilian Bass Lines
    4. Caribbean & Sout American Styles
    5. Latin Jazz Bass Lines

10. Would the afro-cuban section include the rythms of the african music you hear in movies whenever they go to Africa? I just love the drum beats there.

11. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    Check out the debut CD by Cachao's nephew Cachito. A great album and probably my favorite new release of 2001.

My favorite reissue of 2001 was "Nigeria 70" a compilation of Nigerian music from the 70's. There is some serious funk on this 3 disc set.

I saw Jerry Gonzalez & The Fort Apache Band opening for Hugh Masakela a few years ago. Definitely a pair of great bands.

I have learned most of what I know about latin music from playing drums and bass with a percussionist friend of mine. He has schooled me on several different styles. If you had to pick one clave to learn that would be mambo, IMO. In America most of the pop music you hear is based on mambo (AKA the Bo Diddley beat).

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

No, not at all - there are quite a few Afro Cuban styles which have become quite sophisticated and arranged. Probably better to think : Salsa!

I too have the book that Phil mentioned and it is very comprehensive - I have all the others mentioned as well, but would say if you want only one - this is the one.

I think we have had this debate before though and have said that there is no substitute for actually playing the stuff with good percussionists and pianists.

A lot of the "syncopted" lines Gard mentions look very easy on paper, but are fiendishly difficult to pull off, if you are used to "hitting the one."

With a good piano player and steady percussionists I can just about do it, but often fall apart with people who are less than rock solid! ;)

13. You should start listen the music and try to figure out "la clave". There are just to type of clave the "son clave" and the "rumba clave" (2:3 or 3:2). Another thing just for the record, the word salsa is apply like a box. In this box there are many rhythms like, songo, son montuno, guaracha, guaguanco and others. Many important artist like Ray Barreto don't like the word salsa, there are other reason but this is the main one.

You should listen the following artists:

Hector Lavoe
    Batacumbele
    Ruben Blades
    Ray Barreto
    Richie Ray and Bobby Cruz
    Irakere
    Los Van Van
    Dave Valentin
    Tito Puente

Exito!!!

14. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Better yet, you should learn to dance to it, since the bulk of it is dance music and is perhaps the quickest way to get the "feel" of it.

15. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...Stagnaro's book is in the mail!

Additionally, practicing the 6/8 clave(forward & reverse) so that it becomes 2nd nature & applying that against 4/4 is cool(IMO).

Jose-
    Whadda about the Brasilian clave?
    Just like the son except Beat 3 of the "two-side" is displaced to the "& of 3".
    Son-
    /1__&__4_/__2_3___/

Brasilian-
    /1__&__4_/__2__&__/

16. I would also reccomend a book called Muy Caliente by Sher music. It is a playalong with compositions in different styles. It features Rebecca Mauleon and Oscar Stagnaro. It is a good book/CD to check out while working through The True Cuban BAss book and the Salsa guide book. It can give you a good start at understanding forms and sections in latin music. If you don't have musicians to play with it can be a good alternative.

17. Jose-
    Whadda about the Brasilian clave?

JimK:
    This is the rumba clave.
    I didn't know by the name of Brasilian clave

18. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Jose-
    I thought the rhumba clave was-

/1__&___&/__2_3___/

Beat 4 of the '3-side' is displaced to the "& of 4".

The Brasilian has a displaced beat on the '2-side'...
    /1__&__4_/__2__&__/

In any event, there's some book I have...it's a drum book & it has many, many 'claves' written out(I think there's even a "Norfolk clave" depicted). ;)

19. Thanks JimK:
    I didn't know about this clave.

Thanks again:

Any record with this kind of clave