1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Good book to practice learn/practice reading..

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by cire113, Aug 22, 2012.

1. cire113

cire113

Apr 25, 2008
    Heres my problem guys... I can read basic stuff.. but whenever i try to practice i get extremely bored because I'm reading out of an instructional book and there is no musicality to it..

Maybe i have no discipline and just need to stick with ..

I really need to practice reading notes and rhythm..

Does anyone recommend any good books to do this that are interesting and musical?

I was thinking about getting A Musical Etudes for Trombone book i saw on Amazon

2. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
  3. lotusland9663

lotusland9663 Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Vancouver BC Canada
    The Reading Contemporary Electric Bass - Berklee Press by Rich Appleman is good - and get yourself a bass clef Real Book - nothing better that all these different melodies to keep you interested.

4. Out of many, many good examples, 2 that come to mind are:

"Standing in the Shadows of Motown" - this book gets mentioned here quite often. It's half biography, half transciptions of a lot of Motown tunes that James Jamerson played bass on. The basslines rang from beautifully simple to very complex, and is a great way to get your syncopated rhythm-reading chops together. There's a play along CD with all sorts of famous and not-quite-so famous bass players playing the lines.

"30 Etudes" by Simandl (Zimmerman edition). There's a number of classical DB etude books, but the Simandl etudes might be a good one to start with, as they cover a wide variety of keys.

5. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    Bach Cello Suites, Ron Carter transcriptions.

6. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas

Bass Grooves - The Ultimate Collection -Jon Liebman

Has a lot of ideas in variety of styles, all bass specific and most are fun to play. It's great for 'intermediate' reading practice.

7. Mark Plays Bass

Mark Plays Bass

Dec 15, 2008
    Bronx, NY
    This could be just the book you're looking for:

Daily Grooves for Bass
    by Patrick Pfeiffer

I think it's is a great book, filled with useful, inspiring and very musical grooves in standard notation.

Full disclosure: I study with Patrick and I'm delighted to call him my friend!

8. fuzz_factor

fuzz_factor

Aug 6, 2008
    PDX
    SITSOM gets my vote too. I can read treble clef as I've played guitar for years, but after working with SITSOM for a while, I find myself reading bass clef more fluently.

I'll have to check out the Simandl.

9. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I second this. I worked with him almost five years ago. There's very good logic behind the exercises (daily grooves).

10. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    It's probably worth noting that a common complaint about Simandl is that while it is a very good approach for developing solid left hand technique for doublebass, the etudes tend to be mechanical and unmusical. Something to consider in light of the OP's note that he is finding his existing instruction books boring and unmusical.

11. AFRO

AFRO

Aug 29, 2010
    I hear ya bro..
    plus finding the time to be "Serious" and not be "Hobby-ist" musician is daunting at times too.

this should help with your Rhythm woes
    http://www.gswsftp01.com/bassbooks/freestuff/Engel_Sight Reading For Bass.pdf

this is quite literally a superfulous amount of rhythmic content. it has kept me busy all summer this year. (and I have only printed the first 8pgs)
    metro/drum-machine to a low pace 40-60 bpm get a few measures a day (or page per day)
    if you record yourself you can analyze it later on. (and read along to your play and analyze any errors, and work to fix'em)

you can chose any note, -muted or otherwise- ,or finger permutation you choose to boot. (I like to select a finger for each measure, or each beat in the measure..and choose string(s) for each line of measures, then permutate that aswell)

now get crackin' Bub. :bassist:

AFRO

12. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Glen Cove, NY
    Absolutely anything you can get your hands on. The more material you can blow through the better.

13. The Bass Tab White Pages by Hal Leonard Publishing. 200 rock/pop songs, 1000 pages, standard notation, with tabs and lyrics. Even if it's not your kind of music, it will stretch your boundaries and sure keep you busy and entertained for awhile. My copy is a few years old and was about 30 bucks. It's probably 50 by now.

14. Lichtaffen

Lichtaffen

Sep 29, 2008
    Rhode Island
    My $0.02:

1. SITSOM - I learned how to read from this book. Plus it never hurts to learn Jamerson bass lines.
    2. Bach Cello Suite Prelude - Just a beautiful piece of music and worth memorizing as well. I personally transposed it to C instead of G to play it on a 4 string.
    3. The Rhythmic Studies PDF that AFRO has listed above is really great for learning rhythm, especially sixteenth notes, etc.
    4. The Real Book - Whereas the rhythmic studies book is great for sixteenth note types of stuff, the Real Book is great for all those melodies that have ties and rests, etc.

Basically, I'm recommending things that others already have. ;)