Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good Book??

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by no_poetic_devic, Jan 14, 2003.

1. I don't really know which forum to post this in but i thought here would be my best bet.
    What are some good books for teaching double bass? Obviously I also need a teacher, but I would like to have a good book as well.
    If it's possible could you also tell me a store in which I could purchase it (preferably in Canada)

2. Simandl (classical)
    Ray Brown Bass Method (jazz)
    Rufus Reid's The Evolving Bass (jazz)

3. Shlomobaruch

Shlomobaruch

Dec 31, 2002
    Boise, ID
    When you find a teacher, they will probably have a preference for a lesson book. If you're looking for something just to get you started, I'd actually lean towards Rufus Reid's "Evolving Bassist". The first part of the book deals a lot with orienting you on the instrument and playing various rhythms. It's a jazz-oriented book (no matter what Reid says in the intro), but the first half alone certainly applies to the instrument as a whole, and the second half wouldn't hurt you either.

This could also have to do with my utter aversion to Simandl, of which I have posted before. Simandl will bore you to tears when you *have* a teacher. Without one, I cannot imagine getting far. But either way, find a teacher before you hurt yourself.