1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Good Books for Sight Reading Electric Bass

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by pan1k, Jan 26, 2012.

1. pan1k

pan1k

Sep 16, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV
    I have recently become a doubler, and my ability to read for upright is pretty good, but my reading for electric bass is terrible. I'm looking for books that don't just teach the basics, but have advanced studies as well.

My first instinct is to take things I've studied on Upright, and relearn them for electric, but I'm scared that by doing this, I may diminish my ability to go back between both instruments.

Any suggested readings / advice?

2. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    I think you have a misconception here, the material isn"t the issue, you just need to read more on the electric.

3. +1, that said, check out the Carol Kaye books, they're specific to BG.

4. pan1k

pan1k

Sep 16, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV
    fair enough, i will do that :bag:

5. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I'm a bit confused. If you can read well on upright, what are you finding difficult about transferring that skill to electric bass?

6. jsbachonbass

jsbachonbass

May 16, 2006
    Denton, TX
    I was thinking the same thing. There wouldnt be much difference in technique except maybe adjusting from a 3 finger to 4 finger technique, or adjusting for thumb positions.

I suggest using the Simandl Method as a starter, just as you would on upright.

7. fcleff

fcleff

Apr 22, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Try reading Slonimsky's Thesaurus of Scales and Melodic Patterns. You'll get a good workout on treble and bass clef.

f

8. Groove Master

Groove Master

Apr 22, 2011
    Montreal
    Author of Groove 101, Slap 101 and Technique 101
    You can check out this book

It will make you sight-read in time which is a very important aspect to sight-reading. While improving your timing and inner clock which is also very important ;)

9. Reading Contemporary Electric Bass Rhythms (Rich Appleman) - starts off easy, gets progressively difficult
    Note Reading Studies for bass - Albert Evans
    Carol Kaye's Electric Bass 1-5
    Daily Grooves by Patrick Pfeiffer
    Examples on Cliff Engel's website.
    classic funk and r & b grooves for bass by Josquin Des Pres

10. cschenk78

cschenk78

Mar 12, 2000
    Watertown, NY
    Jim Stinnett has some great books out there. Google 'Stinnett Music' - lots of great stuff...

11. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    what exactly do you have a problem with?

is this an electric-bass oriented problem, or a notation reading problem? if you can read for DB then im confused why you need help with sight reading.

if your just trying to improve your sight reading, i'd get a book made for sight singing. thats what all the music schools use (then again, thats because they're actually teaching sight singing..) but i recommend it because it will teach you tenor, alto, treble, and bass clef, and they're not shy about nasty key signatures.

if you can get through that book, you will get much better at sight reading.

http://www.amazon.com/Music-Sight-S...8VRU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327775208&sr=8-1 <-- that book.