Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good Books?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by outofstep, Feb 4, 2002.

1. outofstep

outofstep

Dec 5, 2001
    Sonoma, CA
    I need recommendations on instructional books... Preferably something with jazz or blues... I'm trying to expand my horizons as far as bass playing goes... So list some good instructional books you've own, or owned or whatever

2. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Any of the Sher line of Real Books.
    Click Me.

Mark Levine's The Jazz Theory Book.
    Click Me.

Jamey Aebersold's line. I recommend Vols. 1, 3, 24, 34, 48, 54, 56, 70 to start.
    Click Me.

Rufus Reid's The Evolving Bassist.
    Click Me.

3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Another place you can check is:

http://www.bassbooks.com

Many bass instruction books and videos are listed and sold there. I recommend that you buy a book with a CD, because then you can hear the examples and know how they are to be played.

I take that back. If you are an advanced player and a good reader of standard notation, you may not require the CD. If you are a beginner, however, the books that have CDs are a tremendous help.

4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Forgive me. It is late, so I forgot to add...

One of my personal favorite instruction books for blues is "Mel Bay's Complete Blues Bass Book" by Mark Hiland (with CD.)

Another helpful one for blues as an adjunct to the above book, but not a substitute for it, is "101 Blues Licks for Bass Guitar" (with CD.)

Al of the books recommended by Jazzbo are excellent, too. I have several of those.