Good Bow, Low Budget

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by bassindaface, Nov 7, 2011.

1. bassindaface

bassindaface

Jul 12, 2011
    Hey guys i'm using a Glassier NY fiberglass bow and my teacher suggests that I get a new one. Unfortunately i'm not able to spend very much. I don't want to go over 500 dollars. So could i get some ideas on kinds of wood and weight that seems to make a good sound, for a low price.
    Thanks

2. Shen Ophelia

3. what about those coda bows?

4. Matt Ides

Matt Ides Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I would try and talk to the many shops that carry bows. See if you can trial a bunch in your price range, plus your teacher can check them out as well.

5. bassindaface

bassindaface

Jul 12, 2011
    My teacher suggested that, it sounds like a good idea, thanks

6. I have the Coda Infinity bow. I think its amazing, better than any pernambuco bow I ever bought. Though I never spent more than $1800 for a pernambuco bow, though. The infinity which cost me $870 at Quinnviolins outplays them all in off the string playing and openness of sound/volume/projection.
    Of course there are pernambuco bows that can be pretty amazing even for $1000 dollars but its a matter of searching and having the luck to find one.
    Before, I tried the Metropolitan coda bow and its pretty good also but with the new core technique that coda is using in its new models (using a blend of kevlar as core material) the difference in sound complexity leaves the original metropolitan bow in the dust IMHO.
    I have not tried the Coda Revelation but it also uses the new core and a more traditional frog as well...It should be pretty good, definitively I would recommend anyone to try these bows.

7. I've got a Coda bow that I used for a while, amazing bow. I recently upgraded to a great pernambuco bow though. I'm thinking of selling it, although I'm not sure of the model, so I would have to research.

8. certainly a good pernambuco can be better than a coda bow, especially in beauty of sound but hard to get one for at least 2x what the coda bow costs...
    there are other carbon fiber bows I havent tried like the Carbow and Arcus (really expensive)
    Also there is the "Finale" carbon fiber bow which seems very good for about $350, I think they sell it at stringemporium.com and the reviews are quite good...

9. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    It's not as good as my Coda Metropolitan, but I think Bob G's Brazilwood bows are great for the money. That reminds me, I need to sell a german one. PM me if you're interested.

10. gprigge

gprigge

Dec 19, 2007
    Rice Lake, Wis.
    FWIW, I bought a used Upton shop bow here on TalkBass. I think it was $65. It sounds better and is easier to play than a new R.A. Meinel bow I bought for $300+. Luck of the draw, so to speak.

11. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Here's what I just posted on the thread about Glasser Braided Carbon Fiber bows:

I decided to answer my own question (if anyone had tried these) and ordered an octagonal German bow from Birdland Music for $455 (with a weeklong trial). I figured the worst that would happened would be that I was out the shipping costs.

Well...

The bow I is excellent, very well made and well balanced, pulling a full, strong sound from my bass. I've used other high end carbon fiber bows in the past such as Carbow and Metropolitan and this is as good, if not better, for several hundred dollars less. (And I think a fuller sounding bow than the Finale, if maybe not quite as articulate)

Glasser should market this bow more competitively, as it really has nothing to do with cheap student bows they make for schools.

This is a very professional model, and almost "custom made" in that I asked for a specific weight (130-132gr) and they delivered.

Louis

12. carbon fiber!!!!!

if you can get a used metropolitan, $500 can be done perhaps. maybe a bit more- IIRC i paid $530 shipped for my metro and i love it. also those finale carbon fibers go for something like $300 and are damn nice.

13. DuluthBassist

DuluthBassist

Feb 12, 2008
    Duluth, MN
    I have two students and a colleague who play on the Finale bow. I like it a lot!!! It pulls out a very nice, big sound; it has very quick response; sound production is immediate throughout the entire length of the bow. Highly recommend you check it out - is it as good as a $2000-5000 bow? No, but it definitely makes a great bow for students and an excellent second bow.

14. ethnotime

ethnotime

Sep 24, 2006
    Northampton, MA
    I just upgraded to a Finale bow after playing a Glasser bow for years. It's quite an improvement, especially sound-wise. It's more refined and isn't so buzzsaw-like. Actually anything you buy will likely be an upgrade. Good luck.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021