Good bows in NE Ohio?

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by eflatminor, Jul 2, 2002.

1. My first post here - looks like a cool forum. Anywho, I'm in the market for a new bow. I recently moved to Chicago but I've not found anything that really grabbed me. I will be travelling to Cleveland, Ohio soon. Can anyone recommend a dealer of fine bows in Northeast Ohio?

Regards

2. Ed
    - In Chicago, I've been to A440 and Classic Contrabass.
    - I hope I could find the right bow for under $2,000 but I've been known to overspend if I find the just the right thing.
    - One bow I tried and liked was a Jos Kun Ottawa but it was very expensive (over $5k). I also tried a Dean Seppelfrick that held and sounded great but it was a French style and I prefer German. I currently use an unbranded job.
    - Overall, I guess I'm open to whatever feels right. That is, I don't have a weight or wood or design in mind (though a pointed elliptical shape is intriging). I hoping to find a bow that feels good in my hands, sinks into those strings, and sounds right to my ears.

So, if there's a place in Chicago I missed, please let me know. Otherwise, a place you recommend to check out in Ohio would be appreciated.

Thanks!

3. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    UNDERAGE FLATTY:

Howsabout Abbey Strings Inc, aka The Bass Place in the Chicago Music Mart?

Interestingly, I was just in Cleveland today. I always check the yellow pages for string dealers. A couple caught my eye, but I haven't checked them out yet.

4. Tim
    Abbey Strings is out of business. Word is that the owner was a monk (hence, Abbey) and the monistary moved to another state. He therefore had to move as well.

5. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    son-of-a-gun. unbelievable.

6. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician. Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    +1

i play mostly electric now... but when i played double bass i picked a Joseph Kun bow out of three or four i tried. it wasn't the most expensive... i just like the way it felt and sounded.

look him up!