Good bows in NE Ohio?

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by eflatminor, Jul 2, 2002.

1. My first post here - looks like a cool forum. Anywho, I'm in the market for a new bow. I recently moved to Chicago but I've not found anything that really grabbed me. I will be travelling to Cleveland, Ohio soon. Can anyone recommend a dealer of fine bows in Northeast Ohio?

2. Ed
    - In Chicago, I've been to A440 and Classic Contrabass.
    - I hope I could find the right bow for under $2,000 but I've been known to overspend if I find the just the right thing.
    - One bow I tried and liked was a Jos Kun Ottawa but it was very expensive (over $5k). I also tried a Dean Seppelfrick that held and sounded great but it was a French style and I prefer German. I currently use an unbranded job.
    - Overall, I guess I'm open to whatever feels right. That is, I don't have a weight or wood or design in mind (though a pointed elliptical shape is intriging). I hoping to find a bow that feels good in my hands, sinks into those strings, and sounds right to my ears.

So, if there's a place in Chicago I missed, please let me know. Otherwise, a place you recommend to check out in Ohio would be appreciated.

3. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN

Howsabout Abbey Strings Inc, aka The Bass Place in the Chicago Music Mart?

Interestingly, I was just in Cleveland today. I always check the yellow pages for string dealers. A couple caught my eye, but I haven't checked them out yet.
  4. Tim
    Abbey Strings is out of business. Word is that the owner was a monk (hence, Abbey) and the monistary moved to another state. He therefore had to move as well.
  5. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    son-of-a-gun. unbelievable.
  6. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician. Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA

i play mostly electric now... but when i played double bass i picked a Joseph Kun bow out of three or four i tried. it wasn't the most expensive... i just like the way it felt and sounded.

look him up!