1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Good Brand for a 6 string Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BongBass, Aug 7, 2003.

1. BongBass

BongBass

Jul 12, 2003
    Singapore
    Hi all,

Was wondering in your opinions, which brands would you recommend as strong 6 string basses to buy?

I previously owned a Status Energy 6 from the UK which was quite good. I have a lot of opinions from buying 'Elricks' to 'Ken Smiths' and even to Ibanez.

Musicyo.com is offering the Tobias Toby 6 at a very cheap price. I was wondering has anyone bought this and used it before?

Any opinions therefore to help me decide on that one good 6 string bass? Thanks! :)

2. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    You mentioned Smith, they build very nice 6 string basses. Depends on your price range to what type of builder you should go after. A Smith to an Ibanez is quite a jump!!!

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

How much are you wanting to spend? You can get an Ibanez for less than $600, or a Fodera for over $10,000.

4. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I heard Elrick.... so Yes....

It really depends on your taste and what you are willing to spend....

5. How expensive would a 6 string BOLT ON elrick be?

6. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    MTD, Fodera, Ken Smith, Warmoth Gecko (you put it together yourself, although you save quite a bit of money in the process), infinite other high end, high dollar basses.

Does Rogue make 6 strings?:D :eek:

7. BongBass

BongBass

Jul 12, 2003
    Singapore
    Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback so far. My Budget is actually around US$1500.00 for a 6 stringer - I know, it is kinda of very low!

Incidentally I stumbled upon musicyo.com's site and found their Tobias (Korean made) Toby-6 string. They are selling it for a steal. Anyone has any negative experience or heard of any with this model? Is is good for Jazz and soloing?

Thanks mates! :)

8. I've read some stuff on those basses but I wouldn't trust them. All of the electronics are generic, but the woods the bass are very good. Maple/Wenge neck-through with Bubinga wings. I would like to have a 35" neck scale though. The bass just sounds too good to be true and I think that they aren't really the real older Tobiases.

For the $1500 you have you should be able to get a much bett bass than that.

9. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I can't say enough good things about my Cirrus 6.
    I bought it used for fun, but it's become my main instrument. I don't even touch my Spectors anymore.

10. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    +1 for the Cirrus - great bass!:bassist: