Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good Brand for a 6 string Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BongBass, Aug 7, 2003.

1. BongBass

BongBass

Jul 12, 2003
    Singapore
    Hi all,

Was wondering in your opinions, which brands would you recommend as strong 6 string basses to buy?

I previously owned a Status Energy 6 from the UK which was quite good. I have a lot of opinions from buying 'Elricks' to 'Ken Smiths' and even to Ibanez.

Musicyo.com is offering the Tobias Toby 6 at a very cheap price. I was wondering has anyone bought this and used it before?

Any opinions therefore to help me decide on that one good 6 string bass? Thanks! :)

2. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    You mentioned Smith, they build very nice 6 string basses. Depends on your price range to what type of builder you should go after. A Smith to an Ibanez is quite a jump!!!

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

How much are you wanting to spend? You can get an Ibanez for less than $600, or a Fodera for over $10,000.

4. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I heard Elrick.... so Yes....

It really depends on your taste and what you are willing to spend....

5. How expensive would a 6 string BOLT ON elrick be?

6. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    MTD, Fodera, Ken Smith, Warmoth Gecko (you put it together yourself, although you save quite a bit of money in the process), infinite other high end, high dollar basses.

Does Rogue make 6 strings?:D :eek:

7. BongBass

BongBass

Jul 12, 2003
    Singapore
    Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback so far. My Budget is actually around US$1500.00 for a 6 stringer - I know, it is kinda of very low!

Incidentally I stumbled upon musicyo.com's site and found their Tobias (Korean made) Toby-6 string. They are selling it for a steal. Anyone has any negative experience or heard of any with this model? Is is good for Jazz and soloing?

Thanks mates! :)

8. I've read some stuff on those basses but I wouldn't trust them. All of the electronics are generic, but the woods the bass are very good. Maple/Wenge neck-through with Bubinga wings. I would like to have a 35" neck scale though. The bass just sounds too good to be true and I think that they aren't really the real older Tobiases.

For the $1500 you have you should be able to get a much bett bass than that.

9. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I can't say enough good things about my Cirrus 6.
    I bought it used for fun, but it's become my main instrument. I don't even touch my Spectors anymore.

10. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    +1 for the Cirrus - great bass!:bassist: