1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good bridge pickup to match Bartolini 8S?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by saintx, Jun 2, 2010.

1. saintx

saintx

May 30, 2005
    Midwest
    Is anyone out there using a non-Bartolini bridge pickup with a Bart 8S in the P position? I currently have the Bart 8S, so I know it covers the deep/Motown sound in spades. I'd like to pair a pickup in the bridge that can compete with the high output of the Bart to add some needed growl. I know pairing Bart with Bart is recommended, but honestly the descriptions of their jazz pickups don't sound like what I want. I'm going for an authentic Fender P/J sound...in the same realm as the Fender P/J setups that came out of the '70's.

2. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I like the 8S and use it in several DIYs. I tried using the Bart 9J humbucker in a P/J and was very disapponted in the low output of the 9J compared to the 8S. I was able to match them up better by raising the J and lowering the P but it just wasn't what I wanted.

I tried an EMG P/J setup and was much more satisfied with that.

3. saintx

saintx

May 30, 2005
    Midwest
    Funny...the bass has an EMG P/J setup now! Sounds fantastic for recording, but not what I'm looking for in a live setting.

4. saintx

saintx

May 30, 2005
    Midwest
    No opinions, eh? That's cool...I think I'll flip a coin between a DiMarzio Model J and an overwound Fralin.

5. if the 8s is a single coil wired for hum cancelling like the bartolini passives j, they should have a similar output. The bridge pickup should be always higher than the P or neck pickup because the string vibrates much more in that area of the instrument and the string is closer to the botton of the body. So, if the pickups have the same height the P or neck will sound louder with any brand

6. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw

Well, I tried many height settings for both pickups including setting the 9J higher than the 8S. I even tried the 8S nearly at the same level as the body and the 9J as high as I could without interfering with the strings and still couldn't find a suitable balance. The EMGs simply worked much better for me in that regard.

7. saintx

saintx

May 30, 2005
    Midwest
    If anyone was curious, the Bart 8S + Dimarzio Model J doesn't sound too bad. I'm still trying to find ideal pickup height for each, but it's not a bad combo. The Bart sounds HUGE and the Dimarzio actually balances nicely with it.
    At this point if I had to vote EMG vs Bart/Dimarzio, though, I'd probably vote EMG. We'll see.