1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good budget reverb?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Sunset Shalom, Jan 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    So I have been looking into a solid budget verb pedal, nothing too fancy as I don't use tons of reverb.

Looking to just spend 50-100$, been considering a few different pedals but I am still trying to see what is out. I want something fairly versatile, with a few presets and or a nice amount of controls. Stereo would be preferred but I can live with mono if it's a good deal.

Here are the ones I am thinking about so far:

https://www.amazon.com/Caline-CP-26-REVERB-Aluminum-Housing/dp/B00SV12BO8
    61WHPzgPrbL._SL1000_.
    This is my #1 choice so far, it's only 40-50$ and has some great controls. They are made in China though and I have read some good and bad reviews, they sound great in the demos I have seen so far though. If they were stereo I would have bought one in a heartbeat, for the price getting 2 for stereo rigs seems feasible too though I know it wouldn't be the same as a true stereo pedal.

J33782000000000-00-500x500.
    This one cost a bit more at 60-70$+ and is also chinese. I read more bad reviews about this one but it has some cool features. It's stereo which is a big bonus for me and has some useful features but I think I prefer the tone of the Caline.

fgkktc9do5svwhaba1lf.
    Lastly I was considering one of these TC Nova verbs, they are very expensive new but I have seen a few for 100$ or so used which seems like a great deal. It's true stereo + has a bunch of verb modes and it can save presets. But the tone seems more "sterile" or transparent then the Caline verb which also has some nicer controls I think.

Anyways out of those 3 which would you choose and why?

Any other recommendations would be appreciated.

2. Reverb is addictive, i always have at least a bit of room verb on my bass as it seems to add some breath and air. All those are good choices but if Reverb is not something you plan to use a lot you might consider a multi effect like the Zoom MS60B or MS70CDR. Both will give you a lot of tasty reverbs plus other effects and a tuner.

Randy Ward and sillyfabe like this.
  3. Being and Bass

Being and Bass

Apr 9, 2017
    Canada
    Consider it carefully. If you are serious about reverb and want some quality, setting your budget to $200 will net you some amazing pedals, while sub-$100 you will be really hoping and praying.

As for your options, consider used pedals as reverbs seem to change hands pretty often and you can snag a great price (I just scored an EHX Cathedral for $130!). You could easily get a TC Electronics Hall of Fame (a good reverb workhorse) for less than $100 if you wait.

But if you are dedicated to an inexpensive pedal, check out the Behringer Reverb Machine. Other than being a Behringer (take that for what it is worth) you will be surprised by the quality coming out of it.

Maxfenderbass likes this.
  4. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    I have a boss ME-50 already which has 4 basic verb modes, + I have spring verb on 2 amps. So I am looking for something with more versatility to experiment with. Also so I can try it out in different spots in my chain.

The TC hall of fame is really tempting, the editor looks amazing I just wish it had more then 1 toneprint slot... Also it is not cheap, not too expensive either but I might start with something simpler/cheaper.

Some of those 200+ ones do look sweet but most seem pretty overkill for my needs. The TC Nova was tempting and they are pretty damn expensive new, but I don't think I need or will use all the features.

The cathedral has tempted me too but I am trying to avoid spending 100$+. There seem to be a lot of solid budget options out. I have heard good things about the Verb Machine as well as the Line 6 Verbzilla.

So far the Caline is still the most appealing I think but I am going to watch a TC HOF auction as well as a Source Audio Dimension Verb auction and see how much they go for.

5. Being and Bass

Being and Bass

Apr 9, 2017
    Canada
    The Verbzilla was remade as the Behringer Reverb Machine, so it might be worth a look. But the Caline would do you well as a limited-use reverb for sure.

And welcome to the reverb rabbit hole. I remember when my reverb needs were met by the EHX Holy Stain. This will be my 4th reverb now...

6. dxb

dxb

Dec 25, 2016
    The new version of the HOF has 3 toneprint slots. I picked up the old version a couple months ago when they were on sale for $100 and it has a pretty good sound.

7. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    Why don't you try the M5? It's stereo and has a lot of reverb options on it and it fits your budget.

8. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    Yeah I have heard that before I believe. I like that the Caline is more control oriented instead of having presets, seems like it could be more versatile at least in some regards.

What are your thoughts on the Mooer Shimmerverb? It seems to have a lot of pros and cons, the octave mode seems pretty interesting. And it being stereo is sweet, that might keep me from jonesing for another for awhile.

Looks pretty sweet but I really don't need more multi FX, just looking for a solid dedicated reverb preferably very cheap though I am considering some nicer stuff.

Nunovsky likes this.
  9. Brio

Brio

Mar 10, 2013
    Kansas City
    All of the basic verbs you’ll ever need are on the TC HOF. It is and will be a mainstay of my board. Sounds great on synths tho.

There are certainly better sounding and more expensive options out there but as said before, its a great workhorse.

Jakeman, tfer and Sunset Shalom like this.
  10. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    Ended up going with the Caline verb, I found one on ebay for 43$ which seems hard to beat. The TC HOF and Mooer Shimmerverb both really tempted me though, especially the HOF but the ShimVerb pro is just a lot cheaper.

But I plan on selling some gear before long and I will be thinking about grabbing a HOF2 as it seems like one of the best options out with the editor and it's very compact size for all the features.

Will try and give some feedback when I get the Caline Snakebite, for anyone curios here are 2 solid demos:

The first demo has a fairly hot guitar tone but the second demo shows it's clean tone better.

It seems fairly versatile, I will miss having the option of stereo verb but eventually I will upgrade or get a second verb to fill the gaps.

11. RickenCliff

RickenCliff

Aug 6, 2012
    St. Louis
    Out of budget, but Mr. Black Supermoon all day long, umf :thumbsup:

TC Electrionics Mini Hall of Fame does exceptionally well though and is within budget, just doesn't get wacky like the Supermoons do.

12. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    There was actually A MR Black moon for sale locally awhile back, but I wasn't really looking for a verb at the time and it sold I believe. The seller also has a Musket fuzz I have been considering for weeks, was still available last I checked drool

I was checking out the HOF mini which seems cool but for the price difference I would rather just get the bigger V2 version which is like 50$ more. Still planning on trying one of those eventually, just need to sell some extra stuff.

I am hoping the Caline Snakebite can get a bit wacky, nothing too weird but it sounds like it can get pretty ambient.

13. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick, Mesa Boogie, Joyo, Dr. J, Levy's Leathers
    Full Transparency: I have had a relationship with Joyo

I have a Joyo Space Verb pedal and when I got my Helix, the Space Verb is the ONE pedal that I couldn't let go of. It's an absolutely fantastic reverb with several different types of verb, it's a mini pedal so it's not a pedalboard hog, and it's built like a tank. Works great for guitar and bass - I especially love it for fretless. Mmmmmmm. Buy one or don't buy one, but for what it's worth, it's a spectacular pedal, and it sells for only ~$60!!!

SpaceVerb.

Sunset Shalom likes this.
  14. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    Joyo makes some solid stuff, there were a few other cheaper China brands that tempted me too. Caline is from china I think, as is Mooer.

I have only tried a few joyo pedals but they have worked great for the price, been meaning to try some other budget brands as well.

15. Zoom CDR

Randy Ward likes this.
  16. Ellery

Ellery

Mar 25, 2015
    I got this used from a private party for a good price, sounds great and is US made. If you find one of these, jump on it. I've never looked at another reverb pedal again...

Korladis likes this.
  17. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    You can probably find a used Boss unit for -$100
    I got my SA SB2 for under $100
    Keep an eye on the FX classifieds here and see what turns up.

18. Josh Kneisel

Josh Kneisel

Jun 17, 2016
    Arizona
    I dig the ehx nano grail. takes up zero space and has a few different reverbs.

Korladis likes this.
  19. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    I was looking at the Boss Tera Echo which is a strange modern delay/reverb combo. Pretty strange stuff.

20. From your options, I'd go for the TCE Nova. In that price range, you'd might want to consider a Boss RV, pretty much underrated but does the job well. Zoom CDR is also a good option for under $100