Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good business practices

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Monte, Jan 14, 2002.

1. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    As much fun as it is to rip on guys who don't do their job well or ethically, I really like giving credit where credit is due. As some of you may remember, I installed a Mike Pecanic wenge tailpiece on my Juzek this fall. Well, I'm heading into our community orchestra next week, and the Velvet strings I was using were really giving me problems arco at rapid tempi, especially the E and A strings. Since we will be doing Beethoven's 4th and The Magic Flute (among some other stuff I hear is kind of rough), I decide to switch strings, even though I loved the Velvet pizz sound.

Anyway, I decided to switch to a Eudoxa A & E and an Oliv D & G based on the recommendation David K. who knew I liked the gut sound. I usually change strings myself, but my D tuner was getting stiff and I wanted my luthier Rocky Werning to look at it. He fixed the tuner (the main screw was too tight) and started installing the strings. He started with the E string and discovered it was a little over 2" too short with the added length in the tailpiece. I gave him my old tailpiece and he put on the strings (which I'm really starting to like).

I was kind of stewing as I went home, thinking I now had an expensive piece of firewood, so I e-mailed Mike Pecanic. He was very gracious and said that due to on oversight on his part he had done all his testing on steel strings and hadn't even thought obout the possibility. He thanked me and said he was going to put up a disclaimer on his website. Then he offered to custom make me a tailpiece either compensated with less length or conventional out of wenge. I chose the conventional, since the two wolfs don't appear to be around with the new strings, and my original intent on getting a new tailpiece last year was to get rid of my overly massive 5-string one.

It is always nice to deal with someone of this kind of integrity. Mike was well within his rights to tell me sorry, but there was nothing else he could do. Instead, he was much more concerned with having a satisfied customer, which I certainly am.

Monte

2. Would you consider selling the Velvet strings? Are they extra long?

3. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Right now, I would have to say no. I'll probably keep this set as a spare, and who knows what can happen if I get a bad winding, or a broken string. I do really like the sound of these Velvet 180's for pizz, which is interesting considering they are their orchestral string. I actually liked them better for pizz than their 360's.

As for length, the string itself isn't longer, but they have these strange ties at both ends that make it longer. How much longer, I can't really say. I think the Eudoxa's are shorter than most steel and the Velvets are a little longer, and that caused the problem.

Monte