Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good cab for Acoustic 370 and modern rig/head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bluebyrd, Apr 25, 2003.

1. bluebyrd

bluebyrd

Jun 12, 2000
    Hi All. I did a search, and couldn't find much on this, maybe I just missed it. If I did, my apologies.

I'm soon to receive an Acoustic 370 bass head, which will be my backup. That is if the guy I won the e-bay auction from is honest. In the near future I will be buying either a Fender 400 head or something similar. Either Hartke, G-K, etc. or a rack setup, power amp (around 800 watts or so) and pre-amp.

What's a good cab that will handle all of these different setups? I'm partial to 15" speakers, I like that warm, deep, old school kinda sound. I'll probably need a 4 ohm cab that can handle at least 400 watts. I only want to haul around one cab.

Going by specs alone, so far the one that seems to fit the bill the best is an Ampeg, but it's $1000! Yikes! A bit much. I'd like to keep it under $600.00. I'll be playing a Ric 4003, Schecter 004 active, OLP MM copy (the beater), and Samick active bass, all four stringers.

Thanks for any help. :)

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Looking at the owner's manual for the 370, it is rated 205 watts rms at 5% thd with a 4 ohm load. FWIW it's 325 watts rms @ 2 ohms.

If you want a strong 1x15 at 4 ohms, check out www.avatarspeakers.com and look at the B115 or B115H.

Which Ampeg cabinet were you looking at?

I plugged my former 370 head into an Ampeg 8x10 and it sounded great!!! I'll bet the Ampeg SVT-410HLF or SVT-610HLF would sound great too.

Good luck!

3. bluebyrd

bluebyrd

Jun 12, 2000
    The one Ampeg cab I was looking at was a PR 410 HLF. It's 600 watts at 4 ohms, but it's also $1000! A bit too much cabbage for me at this time, since I have a Rickenbacker 4003 on order now, and just spent that much on the bass. I wanted to keep it at $600 or below if possible. Plus I kinda like the sound of a 15".

I guess I'll just have to keep shopping, and hit up the guitar centers within a 300 mile radius. The San Francisco bay area is about 160 miles away, so that's probably the best bet.

Thanks for the input.

:)

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I love that cabinet!!! Not very "15" sounding though. Look for a good used one, it would cost a whole lot less (I've seen them as low as $500).

The SVT-410HLF is a good one too...lots of low end. And the SVT-610HLF is nice as well.

Good luck!!!