1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Good cab for Acoustic 370 and modern rig/head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bluebyrd, Apr 25, 2003.

1. bluebyrd

bluebyrd

Jun 12, 2000
    Hi All. I did a search, and couldn't find much on this, maybe I just missed it. If I did, my apologies.

I'm soon to receive an Acoustic 370 bass head, which will be my backup. That is if the guy I won the e-bay auction from is honest. In the near future I will be buying either a Fender 400 head or something similar. Either Hartke, G-K, etc. or a rack setup, power amp (around 800 watts or so) and pre-amp.

What's a good cab that will handle all of these different setups? I'm partial to 15" speakers, I like that warm, deep, old school kinda sound. I'll probably need a 4 ohm cab that can handle at least 400 watts. I only want to haul around one cab.

Going by specs alone, so far the one that seems to fit the bill the best is an Ampeg, but it's $1000! Yikes! A bit much. I'd like to keep it under $600.00. I'll be playing a Ric 4003, Schecter 004 active, OLP MM copy (the beater), and Samick active bass, all four stringers.

Thanks for any help. :)

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Looking at the owner's manual for the 370, it is rated 205 watts rms at 5% thd with a 4 ohm load. FWIW it's 325 watts rms @ 2 ohms.

If you want a strong 1x15 at 4 ohms, check out www.avatarspeakers.com and look at the B115 or B115H.

Which Ampeg cabinet were you looking at?

I plugged my former 370 head into an Ampeg 8x10 and it sounded great!!! I'll bet the Ampeg SVT-410HLF or SVT-610HLF would sound great too.

Good luck!

3. bluebyrd

bluebyrd

Jun 12, 2000
    The one Ampeg cab I was looking at was a PR 410 HLF. It's 600 watts at 4 ohms, but it's also $1000! A bit too much cabbage for me at this time, since I have a Rickenbacker 4003 on order now, and just spent that much on the bass. I wanted to keep it at $600 or below if possible. Plus I kinda like the sound of a 15".

I guess I'll just have to keep shopping, and hit up the guitar centers within a 300 mile radius. The San Francisco bay area is about 160 miles away, so that's probably the best bet.

Thanks for the input.

:)

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I love that cabinet!!! Not very "15" sounding though. Look for a good used one, it would cost a whole lot less (I've seen them as low as $500).

The SVT-410HLF is a good one too...lots of low end. And the SVT-610HLF is nice as well.

Good luck!!!