1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good Cab for an SVT6Pro?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Groover, Jul 28, 2007.

1. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Hello, I've been using an Ampeg SVT3Pro with an Ampeg SVT410HLF, the combination sounded good, but it just seemed to me a little underpowered.

Recently, I picked up an SVT6Pro Amp from a fellow TB'er, which defenetely fills in the 410HLF cabinet nicely!! However, when I turn my amp past half volume, I get some speaker flutter as if the amp is about to blow a speaker. (maybe I already blew the speakers?... but sounds fine if I turn it down a little)

Anyway, I suppose I should probably find a cabinet that is closer in wattage to the SVT6Pro amp... but here is my dilemma... I really don't want to get anything that is heavier or larger than the 410 cabinet 'cause it won't fit in my car (plus I want to save my back).

These are the specs in question:

SVT3Pro = 450W @ 4 Ohms
    SVT6Pro = 1100W @ 4 Ohms
    SVT410HLF = 500W @ 4 Ohms

I'm looking at Mesa and Harke, which have some cabinets close in dimensions, but are 600W (it's not clear to me if they are 4 or 8 ohms).

Can anyone give me some recommendations? The key is to keep the cabinet close in dimensions as what I have now, but give a little more room for volume on my SVT6Pro, while retaining a warm tone (that's mainly why I like the Ampeg stuff)

Thanks.

2. neatobassman

neatobassman

Jul 16, 2005
    Antelope CA
    The Avatar 4x10 is light and runs at 1000 watts. Maybe go with schroedor? Their cabs usually run in the 1000's I believe.

3. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Thanks for the suggestions. The Avatar looks to be a good candidate, mainly because of the price.

Should I just upgrade the speakers in my current cab?

4. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Just a bump for a second opinion. I'm currently considering neatobassman's suggestions.

Is there anything else I should be looking into? Seems as if the Avatars and Shroeders have similar specs. Which one out of the two would be a better fit for my amp?

Thanks again.

5. I use my SVT6 pro with an Eden 410xlt and I love this combo!:bassist:

6. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    Eden D410XST. It's a 1000-watt cab, and that amp with it will loosen foundations of venues.

7. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Ok, I'm really liking the Eden option too... (not cheap though).

I think I'm also leaning towards breaking down my cab option in two 8 ohm cabs (instead of the single 4 ohm cab), for various size gigs...

That said, would it be better to match up this:

Eden D410XLT (700W @ 8 ohms)
    Eden D115XLT (400W @ 8 ohms)

or this:

Eden D410XLT (700W @ 8 ohms)
    Eden D210XLT (350W @ 8 ohms)

and again, the Ampeg SVT-6Pro is:

RMS Power Output (8 Ohms): 750-Watts
    RMS Power Output (4 Ohms): 1100-Watts

I suppose what I'm trying to figure out is if say in a small venue where I'd take the smaller cab.. which one would be a better sound overall; the 2x10 or the 1x15... and I guess, ultimately if I were using both, which would be the best combination?

I play fingerstyle, and mainly P or J passive basses.

Thanks again for the help :bassist:

8. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I have an Avatar B210 for rehearsal and it is reated at 500W. My SVT head (300W) makes those speakers fart out like crazy when I get much past 10 o'clock on the master volume. I am sure the 1000W B410 would act in simlar fashion with your SVT 6-PRO.

9. EVEN CHAEPER!
    2 Behringer BA-1-15's! this setup will POUND and be easy on the wallet.(the aluminum 15's are much better than their company's rep lets on)
    you get great articulation, and great power handling all for the cheap! www.worldmusicsupply.com

10. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    Allright... gotta give two more cents....

Eden D212XLT. Get two of em. Rated 400 watts, you can get them at 8 ohms, they're very deep but tight, sound great for 5-string basses, are LOUD, and articulate throughout the range of a bass. You could even pair a 210XST at 500 watts for even more low end, and really move air.

212 + 212 = 800 watts. Lets you push those speakers to their very limit until you hear some farting, with a little headroom so you're not clipping the amp to get that loud.

212 + 210XST = 900 watts. Gets you truly deep as the ocean, lots of rumble, put the 212 on top to get all the definition and thickness.

210XST + 210XST = 1000 watts. Easier to take one cab for practice, but still as loud as you can drive it. Better than one 410XST cuz you can take only one 210 when only one is needed, but stack them and you've got destruction in a very compact rig.

11. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    Oh, and once you hear the 212 or even the 210XST, you'll not want to bother with any 15's!

12. and you'll be ultra BROKE!

13. But ultra HAPPY! :hyper:

14. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Brian, you should be a salesperson...

I really appreciate your replies, and your logic makes sense to me!

Let's see if I can get two 210XST's for cheap....

where, now that's a different story!

15. WHAT A COUPLE OF MAROONS....

16. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Yo Groover, glad you dig the amp. I have/had the exact same setup and the same issues, that's why I sold it. My 3Pro is just barely enough to get it done, but the 6Pro was too much for that cab. In the end I couldn't lose the HLF, it's just too perfect for my style and for 5 strings. IMO I'd look into upgrading the speakers.

17. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Hey birminghambass... I love this amp you sold me, but you are right.. totally messed up my rig now!

Where can I find some good quality speakers to upgrade the 410HLF?

I took a peak, and the speakers have three wires coming from each one... not sure what the deal is, but it looks like funny wiring, not really standard for speakers I don't think??

On the Eden.... man, I just can't find a good deal on those anywhere.

I'm curious about Brian's suggestion to stack the 212 + 210XST.

Just not sure how cranking the volume on the amp would affect the "farting" on the different speakers; meaning, if the 212 is rated at 400W and the 210XST is rated at 500W..(totaling 900W), what will happen when I crank the amp up say half way? Will the 400W start breaking out, but the 500 still be able to handle more volume?

Is it better to go with two equal cabs? (say either say two 500W)?

Thanks again.

18. MESA POWERHOUSE DUDE! YES.

WITH MESA YOU CAN CHOOSE IF IT IS 8 OHMS OR 4...ESPECIALLY FOR THE SMALLER CABS, MINE IS STANDARD 4 OHMS (POWERHOUSE 1000)

THEY HAVE DIFFERENT TYPES 410'S 610'S...MY POWERHOUSE 1000 DOESNT FIT IN MY CAR...SO I NEED TO GET A RIDE OR BORROW A FAMILY MEMBERS SUV/TRUCK...EVENTUALLY I'LL GET AN FJ CRUISER...HONESTLY I WOULD RECOMMEND MESA.

OTHER OPTIONS ARE GALLIEN-KRUEGER (410) OR AGUILAR

19. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    I really REALLY wanna convince you from upgrading the speakers.

When a cabinet is designed, it's designed around the properties of the speakers that will go into it. Change the speakers, change the performance of the setup. Whether it's a good one or a bad one, I cannot tell you. There's buttloads of science and calculator-crunching that goes into that. Just read some of the threads where guys talk about running their cab designs through simulators to determine port-sizing! It's enough to make you play drums!!!

A quality cabinet is designed IN CONJUNCTION with the performance and parameters of the speakers intended for that cab. If you want quality tone AS WELL AS quality volume, you don't want to start jimmy-rigging your setup.

I played my Ampeg 610HLF for 1-1/2 years. Though at the time I enjoyed it, I have now learned the characteristics of WHYs and WHATs between cabs and manufacturers. I've also learned from building two 15" sub cabs for my PA system, that even so much as padding inside the cab can make drastic differences.

So I wanna convince you against swapping speakers, unless you really wanna start doing calculations and tons of research.

As for different wattage ratings, well, think of it this way. The Ampeg 410HLF is rated at 500 watts. But it's sensitivity is 98dB. The Eden 210XLT is rated at 350 watts at 103db sensitivity. Already, that Eden cabinet is louder when requiring less wattage to get as loud. A 5dB difference is somewhat substantial. Then consider the Eden 210XST... 500 watts at 103dB sensitivity. Even more power handling with the same efficiency!

I know I know... numbers can lie. But my single 212 cab definitely outperformed my Ampeg 610, both 4-ohm cabinets. Take that for what it's worth.

If you're worried about a 400-watt cab sitting with a 500-watt cab and blowing up one over the other... don't! Cuz by the time an Eden cab gets close to farting, you're already gonna need a new liver from the sonic damage!

I'm currently running the 212XLT with the 210XLT. Both 4-ohms, amp running 750 watts @ 2 ohms. This rig is dangerously loud. Yes, I know, it's not a 210XST with the deeper tuning. But right now, I don't think I'd want to get any deeper! This rig is already monstrous! If I ever get to rig up my 212 with a 210XST, maaaaaybe I'd like it. But the 210XLT gives me that Eden midrange growl that I love so much, with plenty, PLENTY of low end rumble beneath it from the 12's. The only thing I can say, is to come to one of my gigs, and hear it in person. There aren't many Eden 212's floating around right now, cuz not that many people, or stores, know about it and how damn good it sounds!

Plus it's lighter than the 210XLT on top of it. Eden's gotta reprint their weights or something, cuz I always prefer carrying the 212 up stairs. Heh heh.

What part of Ohio are you from? Cuz we've got Low Down Sound in Ferndale, who would gladly sell you a set of Eden cabs at a fair price, and have them shipped directly to you. Come hear my rig, then go to their store and hear the cabs they've got in stock, and you'll have a better understanding of what they all sound like. Plus, you can of course bring your amp to demo their cabs with. These guys are super-awesome to deal with.

And Groover... I used to sell computers at Office Depot. I didn't sell many, cuz I turned people away from buying PACKARD BELLS!!! Heh heh.... I was such a bastard, but I didn't want to deal with the returns and exchanges, so I just told em to either afford the HP's and Compaq's, or don't buy from us.

20. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Bryan, thanks again for the reply. You've definitely talked me out of buying a Packard... ehh, I mean, upgrading the speakers in my cab :smug:

I can't seem to find Eden cabs locally in stores to even try out, so TB'ers opinions on this matters. From what I've read in various posts, I really can't go wrong any of the cabs mentioned here, but I think I have certainly narrowed it down to Eden cabs.

I think I'm going to just get one D210XST and then get a second once I'm sure I like it to complete my rig.

I like mids for cut, but my guitar player and drummer both like it when I've got my highs turned down and the sound is thick... from what I understand, the D210XST would work well for that.... and then make that cab x 2, we should all be happy!

I live in the Columbus area, so a Michigan trip is not right around the corner, but not completely out of the question either.

I'm working on a deal with one online seller, but he can't come down a little more, then I'll contact the guys at Low Down Sound in Ferndale.

Thanks again for the very detailed reply.