Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good cab for those on a budget

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xpcapox, Feb 21, 2005.

1. xpcapox

xpcapox

Nov 19, 2004
    I just got my self the hartke 2.5XL and let me tell you,things sounds pretty darn good. The only complaint is,once I hit my low B it looses that punch it has on all the other strings,but to even it out in a few months I'll be purchasing a 1X15 to put under it.
    Im running a hartke 3500 thru it.
    The cab only cost $279.

2. Special_Ed

Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    Or you can get a Bag End 2 x 10 for $279 used that will rock your world.

3. Special_Ed

Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    +1

Sound advice my friend.

4. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

That $279 would have gotten you an Avatar (4x10 or 2x12). The 2x12 ROCKS on a low B. Should have asked us TBers before making that purchase my friend...

5. xpcapox

xpcapox

Nov 19, 2004
    My head is only a 350 watt head,Avatars are meant for like 800So it would have worked my head to fill up that extra space. I also prefer buying from somewhere that Ican drive to drop it off if Iever have a problem.

6. Quadzilla

They will handle lots of watts but sound great with less watts. I've had an SWR300, Hartke 3500, 1400, etc on these cabs and all of those heads are under 350 watts. They sound great and are LOUD even with lower wattage heads. I finally have a high wattage head, but again, the Avatars did great with the lower watts. Hell, my little rig is a Hartke 1400 (140 watts) driving a Avatar CB112. It's light and surprisingly loud for it's size and wattage. My bigger rig is a Kustom Groove Bass 1200 head driving a Avatar 2x10 and SB 1x12. That setup rocks!

7. Special_Ed

Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004

+1 for good taste in the Avatar

8. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I gotta try Avatar! I can't believe the prices, and there are so many wonderful reviews on those things.

I'm pretty much just planning on buying one for my next new cabinet, and hopfully stackem-up from there for a big-rig (right now I'm using a Hartke aluminum 4X10, and I'm not super-pleased with it; like xpcapox was saying it has no thunderous authority down there near the E and below).

Hey, Quad - Maybe you (or anyone?) could advise me on this. What I'm invisioning is this:

- I want strong mids/upper-mids (pronounced, if possible - else I'll EQ it in!), yet a smooth, solid (but not boomy) low end down to B.
    - I like the idea of having all my drivers be the same speaker, rather than like a 15" on the bottom, and tens on the top or whatever.
    - I like the idea of vertical arrays - having one driver right near the floor, and stack'em up straight-vertical from there. this is because of two reasons - the 'flat beam' pattern that natually occurs with vertical line arrays like that - it's just elegent to me, physics-wise; also for the property that makes it so if it's stacked up high, it's not much louder or different-sounding when you stand right on top of it (the "or different-sounding part has to do with why I'd like them to be all the same drivers), then when you go back a-ways (another physics-thing that is just begging me to take advantage of).
    - I don't like 'ding'; I'd sure like to use something that I could keep the tweeter turned way down on, and still have at least upper-upper-mids still coming from the cones - with the horns only adding the minimal amount of 'airyness'.

I was thinking that three or four of the Avatar 1X12s or maybe two of the 2X10s (stacked on their sides) might do the trick. What would you suggest? I'd like the idea of the 1X12s having enough treble in the cones to use those with the tweeters turned way down low, but I'm thinking that the tens might be the thing if I'm hoping for tweeter-less operation - if two of them would give me enough thunder.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Joe

9. The Avatar 212 is by far one of the best sounding, lowest price cabs available. It rivals the big names, Berg., Aguilar, etc... It handles my low B extremely well at any volume. I;m not sure if running 2 or 3 1x12 cabs will be the same as one 212 cab, but Dave at Avatar can answer any questions you have. Avatar also has a great return policy, I think it's a few days, try it and see if you like it. :D

10. Quadzilla

Well I've had 4x10's, 1x15's, 1x10's, etc, etc. I currently have a Avatar SB112 (1x12 low frequency) with a Avatar B210 (2x10) on top of it (both with horns). Both cabs are very portable and loud. The 1x12 handles the lows (B included) and the 2x10 handles the mids/high (along w the horns in both cabs). I couldn't take hauling around the 1x15 and 4x10 setup anymore. This setup is plenty loud. Hope this helps...

11. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    I use SWR 1x15 & 4x10 cabs. I was thinking of an Avatar 1x15 to go with my SOB 15. Now I am thinking maybe the 2x12 to go under my 4x10 or 1x15. I never get PA support, (no subs in PA) so I am used to lugging a couple of cabs to most gigs. Drummer, sax and 2 vocalists thru the PA get fairly loud. Only have a GBE 600 or Gk 1001RBI for either 425 or 540 watts @ 4ohms though. Could the setup I propose work out?

12. I third (or fourth/fifth/whatever) all the compliments to Dave at Avatar. I have the B210 NEO...great cab with fantastic frequency support all the way down to 40 HZ. I run a 1x15 underneath it and get all 300 watts out of my amp at 2 ohms - what a sound! I think I paid 259 shipped for the Avatar...one of the best sound investments I've made.

13. Peavey 410 TVX - € 499 (that's even less in $ I guess?)

14. xpcapox

xpcapox

Nov 19, 2004
    Yeah the amp gets loud but it puts too much stress on the head and blow out the head.

15. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    According to the currency converter € Yahoo! Finance, it's exactly $660 in this exact moment. See why I keep insisting our wallets are being severely abused here in Europe? :(

ANDRUCA

16. Stick with the Hartke, man (as I stand with the "Blues Brothers" on a caged stage)

17. Quadzilla

Not true. If the cab has good sensitivity ratings (are loud even with lower watts), this is not true. The Avatars work well here, TRUST ME! I've had an Avatar 1x15, 4x10, 2x10 and 2 - 1x12's all running on 350 watts or LESS heads up until a couple weeks ago when I got my new head. Amps responded well, none blowing up, over heating, etc at loud levels. Some cabs do require a ton of juice to make them loud, but not the Avatars. THey can handle a lot of watts but that DOES NOT mean that they need a ton to be loud because they are VERY efficient...

18. About the verticle array,I,ve tried this last summer with two Avatar CB112s and my Eden 210XLT at big outdoor shows and it seemed to work real well.I stacked the 112s and then put the Eden on it's side so all the cones lined up.This put the Eden at ear level so I could hear it real well,maybe too well.As far as projection that you are supposed to get this way it's hard to say since at the big shows their was major PA support so the bass was going through the FOH and they couldn't hear my stage rig anyway.For me the two 112s and the 210s were more than what I really needed for volume,I got better results just stacking my Eden on it's side on top of one CB112.This got the 210 closer to my ear and it was more than loud enough for all the jobs we do.Maybe you should get one of the SB 112s and stack them this way with your Hartke,it works great and the Avatar adds very tight bottom end.I've got an Avatar Neo 410 I use now so I don't have to haul more than one cabinet but I really liked the 112-210 stack a little more tone wise.

19. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Thanks, BB2!

Joe