1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

good cab head combo under 1,000$ ampeg or GK

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LCW, May 1, 2009.

1. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    ok i have played 6 years and have a beat to hell bassman 400 and its time for an upgrade currently i play a p bass MIM gotoh 201 bridge upgrade electronics and bass line 1/4 pounds i really like this basses sound so far

i need a good cab head combo i want to at least push 350 watts , i am wanting a 4x10 cab and a head that can easily power that and another 4x10 cab in the future

i like ampeg's the mark hoppus tone etc i also dig GK and have played some . i like duff mckagans sound as well.
    i really know alot about basses bith nothin about amps i dont understand really mch about them

i need it to be under 1,000$ i will probably go used for the head and maybe buy a new cab , i was thinking maybe a svt ampeg head......any info you can give me i appreciate , schools almost out and my summer job will be buying this is i have 4 months to browse for good deals , i am excited:hyper:

btw my input jack on my bassman 400 fender needs to be replaced it pops and only works in 1 position i needs to fix this before i sell anyone know a compatable input for it? i could probably install myself i looked at it seems easy.

2. used GK800RB head, Avatar 4x10

/thread

3. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    i ws think about the 800RB found onee in good sape with an skb case for 450 i will have to look into the Avatar 4x10

4. http://cgi.ebay.com/SWR-550X-Bass-Head-Amplifier-NEW-IN-BOX_W0QQitemZ250415207564QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item250415207564&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

I just bought one from this guy and love it (brand new with warranty and shipped in 4 days.) Toss in an Avatar 4 ohm B410 NEO for $490 shipped, and you're rockin for a grand. :bassist:

I dig ampeg cabs, but the heads just aren't for me. You can get a pretty wide range of tones from the SWR. I would definitely take a GK over an Ampeg head any day of the week. Just my $.02

Also, check this out for your input, might help.

http://www.mojomusicalsupply.com/products.asp?id=44990

5. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    That SWR 550X Bass Head is fuc-king nice

its 19$ more than the used GK i was looking at and the swr has a warranty hmmmm

i cant find where avatars are sold at:confused:

basically i wasnt a rig i can fully gig with and play pretty big
    shows

but that swr and a 4x10 of some sort looks bad ass

6. Here ya go, you can only get them through the company. http://avatarspeakers.com/

I know it's risky email your credit card info, but email him with any questions. Dave is quick to respond.

I'm running mine with two 115 cabs right now, but I'm picking up an SVT 410HEN to go with my SVT 115E tomorrow :hyper:. 550 watts through a neo 410 will rock pretty good. My 215 is pretty thunderous. If you want bigger than that, you'll prolly have to fork out more than a grand, but it could be done. Just watch on craigslist for someone hurtin for cash.

7. RayO5421

RayO5421

Jan 15, 2007
    Toms River NJ
    close! GK1001 head is where its all at ;)

8. I wanted a 1001, but the SWR deal was too good to pass up for a new amp. I'm really happy with it though.

9. comparing gk to ampeg is hard they both have their own voice . Im an ampeg guy all the way but for cabs I would go with the avatar neo 4x10 if you only want one 4x10 get the 4 ohm if you want another down the road get the 8 ohm

10. mcm

mcm

Oct 2, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Not ampeg.