1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

good cab set ups for metal?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by (hed)-less, Aug 14, 2007.

1. I play in a death/thrash band called Machiavellian (Kreator, Dying Fetus, Crowbar influenced http://www.myspace.com/mcvln ) and an old school death metal band called Diamanthian (Incantation, Broken Hope style http://www.myspace.com/diamanthian ) - my currant amp setup is a SWR 4004 275/400watt head, a tech 21 sansamp rbi rackmount and a SWR goliath II 4x10" cab. I have now got to the point where I want another cab to add to my rig but I am unsure what way to go aside from trying out different setups myself. I am happy with both my head and my 4x10" and I'd like to stay with SWR as far as my next cab goes as they have served me well. My question really is not so much which brands are out there but - what cab setup would best augment my rig for the style of music I play and add to what I have already ie would I be better off with another 4x10" or a 1x15"? would just a 2x10" do the job? I have been seriously considering a 1x18" due to their sub woofer style low handling but I am not sure if it will be suitable for me...ideally I am just looking for some pros and cons and any advice that can be offered though I realise my question is pretty vague as it depends on other factors such as what type of bass i use etc as well which i realise.

My ideal sound is the classic SVT slightly over driven to add some bite , but not distorted to the point of being 'fuzzy' - I'm a finger style player and I tend to do a reasonable amount of tapping and slapping on occasion too. Ideally I want my sound to keep the 'clicky' crisp high end I already have but with abit more of a well rounded bottom end while pushing out more air too.

2. HeavyFingers

HeavyFingers

Mar 18, 2006
    NOVA
    If you've never played a 410/115 setup you should really go out and check it out. I had only played 410 setups prior to trying it out as well. After the first 10 seconds, I realized what my sound had been missing. You still have the 410 sound but with a lot more power behind it.

3. Foxworthy925

Foxworthy925 Guest

Feb 24, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    I don't have any good advice for the question you have, but I just wanted to say that I hella like your band Machiavellian. seriously, do you have any music on iTunes? I'd buy it.
    btw, what kind of bass do you use?

4. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    +1

Just had a listen, that's ****ing good music man!!!

5. I use an Ibanez BTB 406 6 string :bassist: - it serves me well though it weighs a ton! Cheers for the kind words; nah no music on iTunes at this point but very soon - we just finished recording our debut ep - its been recorded and mixed - we are just waiting for it to be mastered which should be done soon - once it is then we will have some full songs on the myspace page rather than just clips, and will get the full ep distributed and up onto iTunes.

+1 for the 1x15" suggestion - I'll definately try it out!

6. sarcasticon

sarcasticon

Aug 14, 2007
    Belgium
    +1 for the 1x15

Judging from your description a 1x18 might simply give too much bottom end for what you're looking for + eat too much headroom without adding the necessary punch.
    I'd definitely consider a 1x15 over another 4x10, just for versatility and increasing your range. Another 4x10 would be good for more volume but it doesn't give you the same flexibility as a 4x10 + 1x15 would have...

7. ahh I was afraid of that, I cant seem to track down any stores locally that carry 1x18" cabs so I havent had the chance to try one out, nore have I ever seen/heard anyone use one live so I didnt really know much about them other than what I have read. So what your saying is potentially a 1x18" could have an adverse affect on my sound and make it too muddy and take away some of the definition in my tone rather than add to it?

8. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I'd get another 4x10. More mids.

However, those Goliath cabs arent tuned great for low tunings.

9. Thinkarogadum

Thinkarogadum

Jun 11, 2006
    NE OH
    A lot of 18" cabs are very "slow" sounding, meaning they don't have a fast transient wave that a smaller speaker would have. That might not be what you're looking for.

I'm guessing you're looking for an 8 ohm cab, and if you want SWR, it's going to be either the Goliath 4x10, the Goliath Jr 2x10, or the Son of Bertha 1x15.

The Son of Bertha has an SPL of 102 db, and the Goliath is 105 db. The Goliath also goes lower (40 Hz vs. 45 Hz.)

Between the 2, I'd pick the Goliath.

10. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    I have to agree - your band and your playing kick butt! As a finger style player, it gets tough to cut through in a death metal band.

As far as 15's: they don't go as low as a modern day 410 cabs - but 15's put out low end in a way that 10" speakers don't. 15' seem to shoot out fat low end, while 10's put out faster reacting low end. That's fairly general....this is how I have experienced it and it's different for everyone. As for
    15's, the Eden 15XLT is pretty sweet - haven't played one though. Try out as much as you can.

Anyway, for cabs, I would suggest an Eden 410XST - it's smoothe, articulate and full of low end. The Eden 410XLT is much more growlier, has a low mid bump that helps finger playing stick out more, and is very punchy. The Eden cabs are loud and they project bass tones extremely well.

As far as a good head, I would suggest going with a Power amp and a clean Pre-amp. This would allow you to get the clean tone you need for definition. A tube head might get too dirty for your needs and end up being too mean sounding when you do your tapping.

I use a Radial Big Shot blend pedal to blend the signal of a Tech 21 XXL Bass distortion - with this setup, I get crushing distortion coupled with my bass's regular tone and I don't lose low end or definition. By adding this to your signal chain, you can control the distortion/overdrive you need, and maintain the definition you desire. Basically, you can get the growl you want without a tube amp.

Not sure if you want to go this route, but it works great for me. PM me if you want me to explain this more.

11. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    The Eden 410XST is deeeeep. Make sure you have a lot of wattage to push that cabinet. Those XST drivers love being driven hard. Then you'll get some earth shattering kaboom.

Yeah, preamp or pedal board into a bridged power amp would be very simple and loud. Lets you get some distortion or heavy flanger effects for some eerie sounds.