1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good cab to put under an Eden WTX-260?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gold_member_321, Mar 3, 2008.

1. I've recently been looking for a smaller practice amp so I don't have to carry my 810 around all the time, and my friend suggested me the Eden WTX-260, I've been considering buying one for a while now but I'm not sure what I should put under it.

Its 260 watts @ 4ohms

Any size speaker goes, as the cab itself is compact.

2. Maybe a 112XLT or a 210XST?
    Either would be plenty loud enough for practise and give you tone for days!

3. Those we're the two cabs I initially tested it with, and it sounded AMAZING, but I'm mostly curious if there are any cabs outside of Eden that would sound as good ( for less, which is always great :D)

4. Maybe an Aggie cab or Eppifani would give your similar tone and power but they're not going to be much different in price.
    Maybe look at the Nemesis cabs in 112, 210, 212? Cheaper, reliable and Eden tone.

5. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    I did like that head with the D112XLT and CX110 Eden cabs. But for that amp (which I've owned in the past) I'd really like a 4 ohm cab to get the max out of it. The EA Wizzy comes to mind, either the 10" or 12". Or, to save money, an Avatar 112 Neo at 4 ohms is just $249. The Schroeder mini cabs, 10 and 12, are available in 4 ohms. They're very light. Finally, for one last ultralight option that isn't 4 ohms, the little Genz STL10t cab is really cool at 15 pounds. I'm really digging it as part of my Genz Shuttle 3.0-10t combo, and I also have the extension. But honestly, for that head, I really would lean toward a 4 ohm cab. Just imho, of course!

Good luck!

6. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Have you actually bought the head yet?

7. bassman639

bassman639

Dec 23, 2006
    northeast ,pa
    d112xlt or a 4ohm 210xlt,would do nice

8. kevinmoore73

kevinmoore73 Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Additionally, have you played through a WTX-260 before? I bought one before playing through one and regretted the purchase within minutes of firing it up the first time. I liked the sound of it, but found that it wasn't very powerful. If you get it to clip, the noise is so bad you'll wish you didn't have ears.

9. vince a

vince a

Jun 13, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    The WTX260 is a fine amp . . . needs to be set up properly . . . for portability purposes, I'd match it up with an Eden D112XLT, then later add another . . . wait for the Neo ones to come out! I hear they may weigh about 30 pounds each . . . small amp and one/two small cabs . . . and those 112 cabs are loud and low!

10. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    The WTX is a fine amp as long as you are happy with the tone, output and price. Tone is the subject part, but there are several other lightweight options out there that have more output at a better price. That's why I'm wondering if he's already bought the head. Perhaps he might want other options. The wtx is a small-application head. Very small application. There are options out there that are as light, more than twice the power, and they are capable of handling most any gig. Unless the Tone of the wtx is the decisive factor here (which it doesn't seem to be) I would suggest that he look elsewhere. Many people have been disappointed with the wtx's output.

11. vince a

vince a

Jun 13, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    Me thinks that he already has the head too . . . I just came off of a 250 watt amp . . . which took me less than a year to decide it wasn't nealy enough! I'm now at 700 watts . . .

Info for everyone:

If you are a shrewd bargain-hunter . . . Eden (and most other brands) amps can be had for substantially less than the normal 30% street price off . . . gotta know how to bargain and with what company you are dealing with . . . some large companies instruct their salesman on "TED" - take every deal. I won't mention who, but learn to deal or walk! Don't let GAS be a deciding factor in the price that you will pay just "to have it!"

12. kevinmoore73

kevinmoore73 Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Yeah, I bought my WTX-260 brand new for $500. I turned around and sold it three weeks later for $525. The person that bought it then sold it about three weeks after that for the same price.

To the OP: If you haven't already purchased the WTX-260, take a look at some of the other lightweight heads.

13. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    I agree with above. I tried the WT260 and honstly didn't believe it was 260 watts. I ran out of juice in the store I was trying it in . There are a lt of company's out there making small powerful heads in about the same price range as the WTX. My head of choice is the GB Shuttle6.0, 600 watts to 4ohms and 3.75 pounds. Incidently, it is now my main gig head on top of either a NeoX212 or dual neoX112's (which is much fatter sounding). Just my 2 cents
    Also, there is a lot of bark to the D112lt but it is not a fat sounding cabinet...please ty all of it oout before your purchases go down.

14. Beskyd

Beskyd

May 23, 2007
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    I went with EA Wizzy 10 - very consistent even when I crank the head all way up (its output is 290-300W here due to higher voltage).
    But if I lived in US and had car I would probably go with GB Shuttle or LMII pair with new neo Berg 2x10 or EA 2x10. But in my case total 22 lbs of rig is ideal. Just my 2 cents:)

15. dougb256

dougb256

May 22, 2005
    On the farm

I have the 112XLT w/ the WTX-260. Killer combo, deep, clear, fat and all the other adjectives. :bassist: BTW, I got both units for $850 (more than 40% off).

16. lewislngvw

lewislngvw

Aug 16, 2005
    longview,texas
    i think people are disappointed because they think this amp will perform miracles.....it will work fine for what the OP wants....a smaller practice amp.....it will do this wonderfully...i use mine with an avatar 112neo and i actually use it as a stand alone amp for small to medium size gigs....will NOT fill a stadium.....it is not meant for that....for what it is it is a very nice amp......i love mine and would not trade it......remember,it is only 260 watts,not 1000.....BTW, i can get plenty of volume with this amp and have not had the problems with clipping that others have mentioned.....good luck.....

17. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    Eden 212XLT is a naturally deep and beefy cab, with the classic Eden growl. It's a larger volume cab than a 210 so it can bring out the lower frequencies naturally. With a smaller amp, it helps to get thickness from bigger cabs. It's available as a 4-ohm cab, and mine rumbles wonderfully with plenty of growl if I need it to.

18. firebass6

firebass6

Feb 14, 2008
    I ran my 260 with a 210xst @ 8ohms, Its not loud enough but I added another 210xst and that was much louder. Just not as portable. Also my 210xlts work better than the xst because it is a lower wattage rating and the low mid bump gives the perception of being a little louder. The 260 is under powered for the xst cab.

Also I wonder if the clipping issue was something going on with the earlier models, because I've played though 3 differents units in the last month and not one of them had the clipping issue , noise that others here have stated

19. Like the OP, I bought the WT260 as my home practice amp. I paid $525 out the door for it. It's coupled with a D210xlt. I love it. As far as being "pricey" for a practice amp, or underpowered ( how loud are you gonna crank it up in your house? ) it's all relative to what you can afford and what quality of sound you want when you practice. Like a previous poster, I've not experienced any clipping with it, but again, I'm not playing at The Staples Center.....I guess you could just "practice" with a 15 watt Crate, but, if I'm gonna spend time practicing, I do want it to sound good .. 2 cents worth !!

20. Two Eden D112XLT's will do just fine with the WTX260. Gives you the option of leaving one home for really smaller settings. Plenty of punch and tone for small to medium-ish jobs. The new Neo's might be worth looking into also. I prefer the old school "sack" of the ceramic speakers though. To me they just sound deeper and more solid. I almost bought a WTX on principle! Sure is a cute little bugger....and it fits in my hip pocket!