1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good cabinet for Ampeg SVT 3pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Korus Bows, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Korus Bows

Korus Bows

Oct 26, 2009
    Topeka, Kansas
    Korus Bows
    Hello all,

I have an Ampeg SVT 3pro and am looking for an appropriate cabinet. I would like a 410 of some sort, but not sure what the best options are. I have considered several models (SWR, Hartke, Ampeg, Line 6, Gallien Kreuger). They are all great models, but not sure what one is best for my 3pro. I know it all depends on what kind of sound I want to get, but price is also an issue. I would like to stay around $400-$600 new or used.

I am playing on an Ibenez EDB 600, but will soon be upgrading to an Ernie Ball Stingray. I play all styles, but mostly rock. I do not slap and do not use a pick.

Here are a couple examples of bass players that have the sound I am looking for. They probably play on a better set up that what I am looking at, but 3pro should get me close. Just not sure what to do with a cabinet.

Geddy Lee - Rush
    Geezer Butler - Black Sabbath
    Victor Wooten
    Mic Todd - Coheed & Cambria

Basically a good solid tone that can cut through.

Anything will help,

Thanks
    Any suggestions?

2. joeyjoejoe

joeyjoejoe

Apr 12, 2010
    i used a bxt 4x10 and bxt 1x15 with my svt3pro and MM sterling and it sounded great.
    unfortunately, i don't use them anymore since i got my 8x10 so they're collecting dust.

3. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I used a Genz-Benz 410XB with my SVT-3Pro and it worked just swimmingly! I'm currently using a pair of Bag End S-15B's and they work just as good and maybe even a little better.

4. bassphreak

bassphreak Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2007
    Lehigh Valley Area, PA
    Any weight restrictions or considerations? I like the extended low freq Ampeg 410s. The SVT410HLF is nice. I had a BSE410HLF up until last year. Great 410 cab, but about 100lbs.....

5. Korus Bows

Korus Bows

Oct 26, 2009
    Topeka, Kansas
    Korus Bows
    Thanks. You looking to sell your 4x10 & 1x15?

6. joeyjoejoe

joeyjoejoe

Apr 12, 2010
    i am, but i haven't convinced myself to go for it yet, so i haven't tried very hard.

7. Korus Bows

Korus Bows

Oct 26, 2009
    Topeka, Kansas
    Korus Bows
    Weight is not an issue. Of course I say that now when I'm not lugging it around. But serious, all I'm concerned about is sound.

8. Korus Bows

Korus Bows

Oct 26, 2009
    Topeka, Kansas
    Korus Bows
    I see. I'm not quite ready to buy anyway. I just want to get some ideas of what to look for.

9. joeyjoejoe

joeyjoejoe

Apr 12, 2010
    i forgot to mention that the cabs i have are the ones i've seen victor wooten using.
    i think he may have had a hand in 'designing' them.

10. therh

therh

Mar 16, 2010
    Houston, Texas
    I do not have the Pro but I have the III. I am using it with a Hartke 410 XL. The sound is excellent for all types of music. Although I plan on down sizing due to weight. But it sure does rock hard.

11. ZiggyDude

ZiggyDude

Jun 8, 2005
    I will add a vote for the Ampeg 410HLF. Best if you can find a SLM version. I think the freq resp was down to 28HZ on that baby.

12. MN_Bass

MN_Bass Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2008
    Minnesota

13. the_fooj

the_fooj

Feb 15, 2007
    Chevy Chase, MD
    Used to have a SVT410HLF. As stated, it sounded great (so much body and bottom end), but it was so damn heavy. I'm working with a 210 and 112 Avatar now, sounds different (more pronounced midrange and better response in the highs), but still good (my tastes changed a little).

Btw, the bass I used mostly was a G&L L2000.

14. akaTRENT

akaTRENT

Jan 10, 2009
    New Jersey
    Ampeg 4x10hlf gets another vote.

15. Korus Bows

Korus Bows

Oct 26, 2009
    Topeka, Kansas
    Korus Bows
    Thanks everyone for all your input.

Greatly appreciated.

16. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I have really only heard it with an 410HLF. I have heard it a million times over and really like it, although seldom without a ton of PA support.

17. SWR Goliath 3.

SWR have lost their cool factor so are relatively cheap. The G3 sounds massive with the 3 Pro. Excellent cabs.

18. BroKenSticKs

BroKenSticKs

Jan 11, 2010
    I honestly don't see why the weight of the hlf is considered a big deal. I bought one recently and its lighter than the previous yorkville 410 i was using. I carry the thing up flights of stairs by myself. It takes two hands but its really not that bad. When i ordered it i was thinking oh man this thing will be heavy as hell...but i was pleasantly suprised.

19. simonsaysred

simonsaysred

Aug 23, 2009
    Portland, OR
    I've used a 3-pro with the 4x10 hlf cab, now I have a 4-pro with an Eden 4x10 xlt (and a Stingray as well). I traded the head for more power. The hlf cab has a pretty thick dark tone to it, which I didn't like, so I traded for the much clearer (though slightly heavier) Eden. It doesn't have the extended lower range of the hlf, but I think the xlt's mids sit better in a live rock mix. There's something about the construction that just makes everything sound so sweet. It makes a huge difference in my overall sound. I got the xlt used for $500 on craigslist right after I sold the hlf for $450. That's a lot more tone for $50!

20. MaceTheBass

MaceTheBass

Mar 15, 2009
    Netherlands
    I get a great sound with the 3PRO into my Eden 410XLT + 410XST cabs. Plenty volume as well. Just make sure you have a 4 ohm load. One 8 ohm cab is not enough in a loud band setting.
    Disadvantage: those Eden cabs are back breaking heavy.