Good cabinet/head combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dearle, Dec 21, 2004.

1. dearle

Nov 21, 2002
    Philadelphia, PA
    :help: Hey gang,
    So I'm quickly progressing past my Ampeg 50-watt combo amp and have started shopping around for a cabinet and head to really crank some juice out. I wanted to know what you all would suggest as a good, quasi-inexpensive rig that I could make. I am looking for a 4-10s cabinet at the minimum and haven't really gotten into too many specifics for the head. I am a die hard Ampeg fan but just don't know if I can afford it. Any suggestions would be awesome. Thanks for your help.
  2. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Man, this is a totally subjective thing. I think all of us would need a little more info to go on as well especially budget. Knowing you like Ampeg, off the top of my head an SVT3-PRO with two Avatar 410 cabs :D
  3. simple
    Nemises 410 combo. 320 watts self-contained.

a warmish kind of hi fi sound. cool looking

Eden Time traveler or WT 400/550
    410 XLT (4 ohm version)

of Ampeg 410 HLF cab
  4. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    What kind of music do you play? What kind of $$$ are you looking to spend.

Ampeg might not be out of the question if you look used.
  5. dearle

Nov 21, 2002
    Philadelphia, PA
    Well, since you all want more info, here is what i can tell you. I play anything but country which mainly comes down to punk and ska. I really want something that will compliment the tone produced by my Fender Coronado. It has a pretty crisp jazz tone which i why I tend to play a lot of ska with it. As for a budget, I would like to keep the total costs below $1000 if possible though I would be will to spend around $1100 if that would get me something a little better. I know that the whole post itself is really subjective, but it is the best place that I know of to get opinions. If you all need more info, just let me know.

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i had no idea that the three types of music were country, punk, and ska. :p

FWIW, i would look into used stuff if you can. If you are stuck on wantign a 4x10, try getting a head that will put at least 200-400 watts into 8 ohms (if it is an 8 ohm 4x10) or 4 ohms (if it's a 4 ohm 4x10). That way, you won't be likley to outgrow it anytime soon.
  7. I like when the guys that play in church always make it a point to say so, no matter what the question is or how it is framed. I played a few masses years ago and I have no idea what people mean, tonally, when they say they play in churches.

The country/ska/punk things was a refreshing departure, IMO.
  8. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    If you don't mind looking used that will might be your best deal. For @ $1000 you can find some pretty good stuff out there, eden, Ampeg, Mesa, etc...

Or, Musicians "fiend" is having a blowout on the SWR workingman series of equiptment. You can get a full stack, Workingmans 4004 with a 2x10 and 1x15 for 850.00.