1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Good Cables?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Corevalay, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Corevalay

Corevalay Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hey guys,
    After recently having some connector problems at a recent show, I'm wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of some "good" cables. Durable, reliable, quality cables. Thanks!

2. Corevalay

Sep 10, 2009
    New Jersey
  3. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Never had a probem from Spectraflex, Planet Waves, or DiMarzio cables.

Monster cables are the worst, though. Pure crap.

4. MostlyBass

MostlyBass

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    I like the Planet Waves just because of the circuit breaker. I used to only buy George L cables until one failed at a gig and I got an inexpensive Rotosound cable that sounded more open.

5. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
  6. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    It's relatively inexpensive to pick up bulk cable and jacks to make your own.

Check these guys out:
    http://www.redco.com

wisconsindead likes this.
  7. GroovinOnFunk

GroovinOnFunk Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Endorses Cleartone and SIT Strings
    Planet Waves Custom Series cables are great. Plus they have a lifetime warranty and phenomenal customer service.

8. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Livewire and Mogami make the best cables imo and they have lifetime warranties. Monster makes the worst instrument cables imo in large part due to the oversize plugs which frequently damage the input jacks.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I buy whatever's on sale at Sam Ash.

10. esa372

esa372

Aug 7, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Not in my experience.

Over-priced, over-hyped, bad ends with no stress relief? Yes.

"Pure crap" cable? No.

I bought one in 1995, put some SwitchCraft ends on it, and I've never had a problem with it - still use it today. Bought one in 2010, put some Neutrik ends on it, and I have nothing bad to say.

They work just as well as any other cable; you just have to replace those ends.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Well what good is that???

SteveCS likes this.
  12. esa372

esa372

Aug 7, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've had and used the same one for almost 20 years without a problem. I can't call that a bad cable.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I can't say that...I end up losing them before they break.

14. Corevalay

Sep 10, 2009
    New Jersey
    I went ahead and got the Dimarzio's... Lets see how it works out!

15. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    I agree, but have to comment on this... I had a Monster cable I bought back in the mid 80s. It lasted me until about five years ago when it started getting handling noise. So I threw it out and bought a Spectraflex and another similar cable.

The Spectraflex started getting intermittent a few weeks after I got it because it had developed a break a few inches from one end. So I cut about 6 inches off the end and repaired it and it has been fine since. The other cable also went bad after a few weeks and required the same repair.

So from that experience I have to say that the Monster was very reliable and lasted a very long time for a cable, about 20 years. It cost me about $40 at the time, which I thought was pretty expensive for a cable. The new cables had issues right in the beginning. I have no idea how the newer Monster cables are.

Having said that, I obviously didn't buy another Monster cable, but had I realized that I could have just brought it back to GC for a new one, I would have done that. It was an "instrument" cable, and not the dark sounding bass cable.

I also picked up two Hosa cables recently and they work fine too, and they were on sale cheap.

16. throughthefire

throughthefire

Oct 1, 2010
    Utah
    For me, LiveWire. Cheap, with a lifetime guarantee. Break one, just roll up to the nearest GC and get a new 'un.

The only change I make is to label them with a labelmaker and some 3:1 transparent shrinkwrap; makes for an indestructable label that only comes off *if* you *really* want it to.. I've never lost a cable since we started doing that.

Pete.

17. MostlyBass

MostlyBass

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    +1 to LiveWire

18. I like Evidence Audio for all of the above.