1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good cabs for under $500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MOTORHEADBANGER, Nov 3, 2010.

1. MOTORHEADBANGER

MOTORHEADBANGER Spud-boy looking for a real tomato

Dec 23, 2008
    Sidney, Indiana
    Hi. I recently decided to go out and buy a tube head. I love the tone of old Marshalls and Ampegs so I decided to buy a Bugera 1960 guitar head. It is a 100-150W replica of the old Marshall Plexi Super Lead and sounds marvelous with bass. I know that it is a "Bugera", but I have read great reviews on this head and at $250 used you can't really beat it. For some SVT tones to mix in I use a VT Bass pedal.

I am looking for some good efficient speaker cabs that would add up to about $500 used. I play everything from Metal to Jazz. I mainly use my trusty Trace Elliot 1084 8x10, but it is just very hard to move around, though I love the sound, so I am selling it. Is their anything out there that can move massive air like an 8x10, for about $500 used?

2. Ampeg 810. :D

I'd probably go with a 610 if you're dead set against an 810. Berg NV, SWR Goliath, Mesa... Whatever's clever.

3. nato101010

nato101010

Dec 12, 2009
    Ontario
    500$?

I would think Peavey 4x10 cabs are suited well.

4. superbeast101

superbeast101

Sep 6, 2010
    I've found Ashdown cabs to be pretty good value for money, and you can get those or Hartke cabs in 4x10 over here in australia for about $5-600 so in the US it should be much less. That being said.. I think ebay will be you're best bet for a good deal and there will be plenty to choose from :)

5. WingKL

WingKL

May 12, 2007
    I don't know if you can get something used for that price that would move air like an 810 except for another 810 but if you're handy with a saw you might want to consider building one of Bill Fitzmaurice design cabs. An Omni 15 Tallboy may do the trick.

6. dhomer

dhomer Commercial User

Apr 9, 2009
    Hickory Corners, MI
    Owner, Gigmaster Soundworks, Auth. greenboy designs builder, MI
    I heartily second the BFM suggestion. For about the same $$ you could build a fEarful as well... Having someone else build them might be over budget, but DIY you could pocket some change off that $500 bill..

7. MOTORHEADBANGER

Dec 23, 2008
    Sidney, Indiana
    As much as I love 810's, transporting them is not fun, especially some of the places I play. I found an older (probably late 90's) Sunn 410h cabinet for $180. I wonder how that would perform. Also what about the Ampeg SVT410HE cabs? I have found many of them for around $300 used. I figured either two 410's or a 410 and a 1x15 might come close.

8. superbeast101

superbeast101

Sep 6, 2010
    Yeah those ampeg cabs are definite quality if you can get one at a reasonable price that would be the go

9. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

$500, eh?

Hmmm....well, if you can borrow $100 from a friend, then you could afford to have Don Oatman at Low Down Sound (LDS) build you a brand new fEarful-based 15/6 cab. It comes loaded with an Eminence Kappalite 3015LF woofer and an 18Sound 6.5" mid-driver. The cab is 30" high, 20" wide, and 16" deep, and weighs 45 pounds. It would provide as much SPL as any 6x10, and almost as much as an 8x10, with better low end freq response.

Just an idea......

10. xjeremiahx

xjeremiahx

Apr 19, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    No longer a slave to GC.
    You can always find TONS of used cabs real cheap.
    I see 810 Ampegs on CL here in chicago around the $500 mark.
    The Ampeg SVT410HE cabs are just too damn heavy imo. They don't sound bad, but 1 of those cabs weighs 91lbs, whereas a 6x10( i use an SWR) weighs only 115 lbs and it has casters...
    I snagged my cab used for $500 actually, so I'd recommend browsing your local craigslist to see what else is out there.
    also, used.guitarcenter.com has a bunch of stuff out there cheap.

11. IntrepidCellist

IntrepidCellist

Sep 10, 2009
    Manhattan
    Not the best idea for a 100-150W tube amp. You need serious wattage to push that kind of setup. I'd think he'd be better off with a traditional more mid-voiced 4x10 or 2x15.

Another good possibility is an old Eden D410XLT. Turn down the tweeter, and you'll have the old "touring standard" for $500 or less. They're heavy, but they sound great and have a mid bump right where you need it to get through a mix.

12. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
  13. pbasswil

pbasswil

Feb 17, 2008
    So many possible solutions;

but I'll just mention the cabs that have my attention at this moment:

The Gallien-Krueger MBE series. These are super-lightweight, and quite efficient. They are built to a price, but their basic function is beyond reproach. (They're the cab-only version of the GK ultra-lite MB combo series -- E is for Extension cab.)

I've heard the MB210 combo -- it's punchy as hell, loud for a 2 x 10", and crazy light. Of the various configurations, the 210 is a bit shy on high mids.

The MBE212 is a 2 x 12" extension cab that can take 600 watts in either 4 or 8 ohm versions -- and can be had brand new for $400. By all accounts it's a balanced, really loud cab that takes EQ very well. And how about hauling around this potent one-cab solution; would you believe: 38 lbs??!

Their 1 x 15", the MBE115, can make good use of 400 watts in the 8 ohm version. I understand its freq extension is a hair more old school at both ends (not quite as deep, or quite as much high-end definition) but it's by no means an old school 15" dull thud, either. No one has described it as anything other than sweet sounding. RMC sells these brand new at a miraculous $225.

Depending on your tonal and volume needs, either one or a pair of either of these could be your low budget, high quality solution.

A crazy-light 4 x 10" MBE is also in the works.

14. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    My main cab is an 810E but I did get a Basson 210 (B stock ) for $450 after finding out on this Forum that the company is now out of business.Crazy I know since it alone weighs over 100lbs but it puts out as much as my 810 IMO.

Attached Files:

15. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Ya you're right. That wouldn't be sufficient wattage to drive a fEarful 15/6. I retract my suggestion. I should have read the OP's first post more thoroughly.

16. Gizmot

Gizmot

Mar 22, 2009
    Nashville area
    Find something that you like the sound of. The only cabs I'd stay away from are the Hartkes with aluminum cones. Aluminum softens every time it moves and that means their sound quality changes markedly as they're used. The off-axis response of them is funky too.

17. kranahan

kranahan Supporting Member

ampeg 810, 610, 410hlf are all around 500 and below. i just scored the 410hlf for $350 so it is possible to get a good cab at a decent price. i do have my aggie db 410 for sale... ha.

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    sheesh! you don't ask for much, do you? your choices are pretty much limited to two 410's or an 810. the cabs named off so far won't do it. if i were you, i'd probably just stick with the trace.

gizmot, the cones in a hartke cab do not move. the foam surround and the voice coil move, not the cones themselves. and the off axis response is going to be funky in any 810. that's a result of the width of the drivers causing beaming, and is not limited at all to hartke.

19. MOTORHEADBANGER

Dec 23, 2008
    Sidney, Indiana
    I know that I am basically asking for a miracle. The only problem is that the Trace is close to 200lbs and usually it is just me loading it in and out of things. Of course the overall size doesn't help either. I am thinking of 2 410's. I found an old Sunn 410H for $180 and an Ampeg SVT 410HE for $200. That'll also leave me with some cash left over.

20. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O))))

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Well, if you have any carpentry skills and can borrow another $100 or so, I'd say go build yourself a Sunn 2000s cab. Big 'ole 2x15, and if you can find them, load it with either JBL K or E140s. In fact, you can buy a cab based on this design from Monolith Loudspeakers and load it with those speakers. For me, building one was definitely a great choice gear wise. Totally suits my sounds. And the original head the cab went with was only 120w, so you're right in the range for what this cab was designed to do. Just my opinion.