1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Good CDs for children that any musician would enjoy?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Blackbird, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I have a brother who's 1/5th of my age. Yes, it's a shock to me too. I decided to get him a few CDs as gifts. Thing is, there's a lot of crap that's marketed to kids and drives older folks nuts. Some of you new moms and pops know what I'm talking about.

So, how about a thread where we recommend CDs for kids that actually have some good music?

Here's my contribution:

B000003TPH.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.

Snoopy's Jazz Classiks on Toys - Jazz Standards performed on Toys. Yes, I own a copy and it rocks. Why did I get? Check out the set list:

1. Intro
    2. Theme From Pink Panther
    3. Take Five
    4. Put On A Happy Face
    5. There Will Never Be Another You
    6. My Favorite Things
    7. Bluesette
    8. Little Girl
    9. Summertime
    10. Satin Doll
    11. Lullaby Of Birdland
    12. Blue Rondo A La Turk
    13. Magic Kite
    14. Birdland
    15. What A Wonderful World

Yes, Birdland is one of the tunes, so are Take 5 and Blue Rondo a La Turk. This is a really great album to get kids into Jazz and it's very listenable. The fact it's performed on Toy instruments gives this recording an interesting sound. The arrangements are simple, musical, and best of all, true to the originals. You hear the real thing simplified, not dumbed down. Big difference. There's a lot a musician can learn from this recording.

And the kid will notice that Snoopy's the bass player, so they'll know bass is cool!;)

There's an entire Classiks on toys series, with "Beatles on Toys""Classical on Toys", "Nutcracker on Toys"and "Christmas on Toys". Best of all, they're no that expensive. Amazon.com has sound samples.

Any other good CDs for kids?

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Schoolhouse Rock is a good one. Hell, I have a copy of my own.

3. That is absolutely brilliant, I'm seriously going to get one of these, I'm really curious to hear what it sounds like.

4. i gotta gets me a shirt that has that pic of snoopy on it...or at least one snoopy "joe cool".....then a joe cool pickguard for my jazz :D

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Believe it or not, my wife and I love the Backyardigans CD we got for our toddler. They're all songs from the children's show, but just about all of them are really nice and catchy.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Britten's : Young Person' Guide to the Orchestra... :eyebrow: ?

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    I caught an episode of that show once. The penguin was talking about the Yeti, and the basslines in that episode were sick!!!

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    You were born old, weren't you, Bruce? ;)

9. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    He was doin' that Yeti Stomp!

10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    LOL!! Yeah, that's the one! Very James Brownish bass playing in that one! :bassist:

11. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Grisman and Garcia - Not For Kids Only

That would be a good one I think.

12. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    i dont have kids but i have a neice and nephew and friends with kids.

dan zane cd's are awesome. schoolhouse rock cd's rule. as much as i to admit it, the wiggles stuff isnt bad either. FOR OUR CHILDREN-is really good [has bruce on it], little richard has a kids album too. it is out of print however. if anyone wants it i have a copy i could burn for you......let me make 100% sure i have it.

13. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    FANTASTIC albume!

I'd add the new DEVO 2.0 if you're a DEVO fan.

14. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Kenny Loggins put out a 'childrens' CD a number of years ago that actually fits your criterion. Nice, classic childrens tunes that easily cross-over to adult listening (House on Pooh Corner, Rainbow Connection, etc., etc.). The production sounds quite dated (that unfortunate overproduced 90's reverb heavy mix, etc.), but it has some great playing... I think Reddie Freddie is on bass....