1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Good chair for practicing?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by edge83, Apr 7, 2009.

1. edge83

edge83

Apr 12, 2004
    Astoria New York
    Unusual question I know, but I wonder if anyone has found a chair / seat that they find particularly comfortable for practicing in.. good height and shaped in a way that feels good on the arms and back while holding the bass. Thanks.

2. jmac

jmac

May 23, 2007
    Horsham, Pa
    I'm glad someone asked this question. I, too, am interested. I currently sit in my computer chair. It's not long into practicing that my back starts bothering me. Mainly because of the chair arms I can't sit back in the chair to use the back support.

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I use a "video chair". It's shaped like a J and sits on the ground. It lets you lean back and your elbows are free to move. That or a drum throne.

4. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    I prefer a bar stool or standing, but I just bought a house that came with a ton of old furniture I need to try out.

5. Sindri907

Sindri907

Feb 24, 2009
    Virginia
    Def. get an armless chair. I have a papasan chair (you know, the bowl chair) in my apartment and its also bad because you sink into it and the edges get in the way of the of the bass neck and head.

I actually have a tall stool I use combined with a good strap. I can rest my feet on the stretchers on the stool to support and steady myself. The strap and some good posture help support the weight of the bass.

6. ZonGuy

ZonGuy

Sep 2, 2007
    I have a tall padded barstool and a plain stool, both bought cheap at Bed & Bath cheap. The stool is customized for my upright playing (height and added footrest, stained cherry).

I sometimes use a guitarists footrest when playing 6 string or high up the neck.

7. Ephminus

Ephminus

Nov 6, 2008
  8. A stool of some sort, a good drum throne is good too especially if it's height adjustable. Try using an excercise ball; helps with the posture and the ab and back muscules which are really important.

Gonna check out the craftsman. I also saw a hydraulic height adjust with nice bike seat @ local music store for $179, $200 with optional back rest.

It all depends on what you want and what's comfy for you.

9. bassmam53

bassmam53

Mar 18, 2008
    I found a neat little chair at Wallmart. It's small, will fold up flat to carry, and has a small round seat, really small back that doesn't get in the way of my arms. It sits the right height...not as high as a bar stool so that you don't have to worry about balancing. You can find them in the bar stool section at Wallmart...inexpensive, folding, light weight....great for practicing.

10. I use my piano bench at my piano (obviously), haha. If it works for me when I'm playing piano it works equally as well for when I'm practicing the bass when sitting down.

11. Mr. Mig

Mr. Mig

Sep 7, 2008
    Good post. I was looking for a new chair.

12. Brado

Brado

Oct 19, 2005
    Buda, TX.
    I would recomend the custom route. Go with something with 5 piece legs; preferably maple w/ purpleheart stringers & graphite reinforcement. For the seat, the scoop (radius) needs to be relatively flat. This will ensure proper seating technique. I would recomend about a 178" radius on a bookmatched piece of rosewood. Ebony does nicely too, but it's a bit pricy. Stay away from the graphite seats... they're a bit on the synthetic side. For better lumbar support & versitility, go with an adjustable back (no arms) that's about 9" tall. This will support the lower back & the dual trus rods add the optimal tweekability for a consistant amount of relief.

13. BigKahuna13

BigKahuna13

Nov 21, 2004
    LI New York
    I've been using a drummers stool for the past couple of years. Armrests would just get in the way and I lean forward when I'm seated so I don't want or need a backrest. My practice area is crowded as it is and stool takes up very little space

14. nik1093

nik1093

Apr 13, 2008
    PA
    gotta couple nice wood stools. would be better with pads but they work perfectly

15. Atshen

Atshen

Mar 13, 2003
    Grim Cold Québec
    You should practice in the same position as you will perform (probably standing). That way you won't be too fudged up come show time.

C'mon, don't be a lazy *ss!

16. Lichtaffen

Lichtaffen

Sep 29, 2008
    Rhode Island
    I sat on a stool at Guitar Center once while trying out an amp and man was it comfortable. I should have bought one.

I like the exercise ball idea. I've got to try that.

17. AN4E

AN4E Guest

Apr 2, 2009
    i use a armless computor chair works great :)

18. Ephminus

Ephminus

Nov 6, 2008
    So true....if you spend too much time jamming sitting down you'll be screwed up when you stand up and start using the strap again.

I recently just experienced this.

As a result I had to raise my bass on the strap.
    So uncool.

The only time I plan on sitting is if I'm laying down tracks.

19. Ephminus

Ephminus

Nov 6, 2008
    I was thinking about this excercise ball idea...
    That's just a broken neck waiting to happen...for the bass too.

20. derekd

derekd

Feb 16, 2009
    KC