Good Challenge Pieces... Any Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Crazyfist, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Crazyfist

Crazyfist

Sep 26, 2011
    Hey guys,

Basically, I really need to step up my game playing the bass. I feel like I'm getting a bit too comfortable so I was wondering if anyone knows any specific artists/songs to check out so that we can compile a list of really challenging songs together? Slapping, picking, finger-style, time signatures, rhythm and tempo modulation... I'm up for anything!

I am aware of bass players such as Federico Malaman, Hadrien Feraud, Henrik Linder, Jaco and Victor Wooten, but there must be others? Please mention specific songs too, that would be a great help, or please include songs by these artists that you feel will make you break a sweat!

Thanks!

2. Icemanaroonie

Icemanaroonie

Sep 6, 2015
    Delaware
    Schism, Jambi, and Vicarious by TOOL are good challenges as far as odd-time mixed with some technical playing goes. If you want to really test yourself and have a 5-string, try any Blotted Science song.

3. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Since you mentioned rhythm and tempo modulation, the first pieces that come to mind are Luciano Berio's "Sequenza XIVb" and Elliott Carter's "Figment III"

4. HandsFree

HandsFree

Dec 23, 2015
    For me every song on the Bruford albums (with Jeff Berlin playing) is a learning project in itself.
    One of my favorites is 'Fainting in Coils', for a good part in 9/4 with both rithmic and lyrical bass playing.
    I recommend trying it. It's not easy though.

Bob_Ross likes this.
  5. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Great tune, with a really cool bassline!

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021