Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good & Cheap 36" Scale 4 string!?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DarkMazda, Aug 28, 2001.

1. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Just liek how the topic says. I need a 36" Scale bass, that is a 4 string. I would definately like Soapbars with it (2) :) NO EMGs! I've had it with EMGs... Barts or SD :) Any recommendations? I Just lost a great deal on a bass cuz of this problem.. ugh.. any help would do..

PS: Planning to tune it ADGC with a 0.135 - 0.140 strings!

JT? :D

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I think you need to have it custom made. Haven't seen anything like that as a production model.
    Maybe Dave Pushic can do it for little money.

3. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    JMX: I don't have couple of months to wait.. I hate htis low A tuning garbage with my band. I've been thru so many 5 strings and I've hated the sound or wasn't comfortable for me.. Maybe I might just get a cheap Yamaha RBX260 and tune it to ADGC.. its only for 3 songs anyways :p I'm tired of looking for basses and spending money to just return it. I gotta return my Salas too for that reason :( (Not my Legacy copy)

I guess a 35" Scale 4 might do.. and put 0.140 strings on it :( But still need to find a cheapo bass

DM

4. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Definetly David Pushic for the task in mind.
    On the other hand, If you are tunning that low... Why not some Alembic Pickups to bring out the piano like tone of the 36" Scale Tightness in the strings?

5. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Cheapo Basses = Cheapo Tone...
    Then again.. Tell your band to f*** over with the tunning.
    :)

6. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    yeah i know Luis. I Definately agree on that tuning part.. its like a Fieldy Tuning! ugh!! I don't want that clicky clicky thing.. You know what!??! :eek: maybe I should do that!! So Peopel won't hear how crappy the bass sounds! :D

But yeah. I don't really have the time to wait since after I ship the salas, no more basses for me for the other tuning. Maybe a cheapo 5 would do but like you said.. cheapo sound = cheapo $ :(

7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Hey, I know a couple...but you can't afford anyone.

Nor do you need it...it really won't help the low A. Worse yet, with your tiny hands, your playing would be heavily impeded, and would likely extra pain to your wrist (if you're already having problems, right?). I don't suggest it, you don't need it, and you won't be able to find it.

8. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Moses Graphite would build you a 42" scale 4 string, but you might not consider $1500 cheapo.

www.mosesgraphite.com

9. I WANT THAT.

MY GOD.

10. Ugh, nevermind, those basses are ugly.

I just wanted a bass that would double as a deadly weapon.

I guess I'll have to get one of those NoClam Fretboard shockers and screw with the tuning. :D

11. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    My god, that is practically orgasmic!

12. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Peavey and DeArmond make pretty cheap 35" scale 4-strings.

13. The Schector Scorpian is pretty cheap($529)the neck is extended 35' and designed to be tuned DAEB(high to low)like a 5-string. i personly think it looks awsome, its got an awsome walnut satin finish (drooling...) but the bad thing is that it's got EMG but maybe u could replace 'em.

14. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I suggest a BTB400...but then we found a Peavey Cirrus for $799! He HAS to get that, considering what I know he likes in basses (alder/maple/2pups/neckthru/hard fingerboard). It's his! :)

15. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    35 foot neck? that's insane! ;)

hehehehe

16. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    If you're talkin' about the bassnw.com used one, it's sold already... I checked it a few weeks ago, and it wasn't on the site anymore. Although, a Peavey Cirrus would be great... If you get an Ibanez, get an SR810... IMO the Sound Gears are much better than the BTB's.

17. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Uh, would you mind checking next time? There's one there, RIGHT now! Unless it was sold since Sunday, which isn't "a couple weeks ago".

And you're the first person I've ever heard say the Soundgears are better. Bleh!!

18. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania

I know I'm a loner in thinking that Sound Gears are better than BTB's, but it's IMHO. They must get quite a few Cirrus' in there, when I checked the site, they had one for a while, but then it got sold, they must've got a new one in.