Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good Cheap Bass with MM Pickup Configuration?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by darkspec, Apr 15, 2003.

1. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    Hello, Does anyone know any cheaper but good basses with the Musmic man pickup on it? I dont want a OLP because I heard they are really crappy and when I tried one it sucked. I tried a Sting ray but I didnt really like the neck, the sound was great though. So does aynone know any good musicman pickup basses that are pretty good and cheaper, as in cheap one that i could get used for are 300-400 $ ?

2. Ibanez SRX maybe?
    Or..have you heard of Eagle guitars?

3. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    The $300.00 to $400.00 is a little low to find a bass that you are probably going to like but here are a couple of suggestions; a used MTD Kingston or a used Hamer Velocity (not the Velocity2 with jazz pick ups). Good luck

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    mtd kingston

great five string (tight b-string)

5. Cort GB series had musicman pickup

havent played one but they are in your price range at look alright

6. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    thanx guys, I dont really see anything that gets my spine tingleing though. The only bass that I really like that I saw was a ESP Signature series. I guess Ill just build my own Warmoth over the next year or something. Thanx for the info though!

7. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    Its not the OLP itself, its the neck, I find it to small. I playone OLP and it was medicore. Worse then my squier but not to bad, maybe it just needs better pickups. But another seemed cheaply made, seems like a 1 in 12 sorta deal.....

8. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    I recently checked out a Washburn with a MM configuration. Very flat fretboard-neck configuration --odd but not uncomfortable. Can't remember which one it was though. Pickup was a Basslines MM (sounded like the ceramic magnet) and it sounded pretty nice for a $400.00 bass.