1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good Cheap Direct Box

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by King David, Nov 29, 2006.

1. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    I am wanting to get a good cheap direct box. Do you have suggestions? I am looking to spend about $50. I have a Warwick Corvette standard 5, a POD XT Live (for amp modeling), I just need to get into the PA snake!

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Rolls makes a pretty decent inexpensive DI.

3. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    Groove Tubes and Livewire Solutions are good, as well.

4. 1kinal

1kinal

Jan 18, 2006
    Montreal, Qc. Canada
    Endorsing Artist: SIT strings
    The Whirlwind IMP2 is a good passive DI and cost around $40.

5. +1 on the Whirlwind.

I always carry a Whirlwind DI (or my SABDDI) as a backup

6. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Glen Cove, NY
    Good and cheap, especially in this case, are a contradiction in terms.

But for live stuff in small venues, it doesn't really matter.

7. superkicky

superkicky Guest

Sep 3, 2005
    I know I'm gonna get knocked here but... the Behringer DI400P is a pretty decent DI box. A/B-ed it to an amp and it was pretty transparent; there was a bit of high-end loss but definitely not enough to put me off buying it. Opened it up when I got back home and the soldering was good and wiring seemed pretty neat.

Only thing that might affect tone is the transformer; I'll find out more about that on Saturday.

8. i have a jdi i'll sell you or trade

9. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    Is there any advantage to having a powerd/active one? I guess I could see it if I had a passive bass.

10. ihateusernames

ihateusernames

Jun 26, 2006
  11. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    It's actually a disadvantage...just one more battery to worry about.

12. +2

13. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Check out the ART Tube MP.

14. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    I always keep a Whirlwind EDB1 with me at all times. Has a padded XLR output (0, -20, -40) so you can take a speaker or line output and send it to a mixer.

15. ihateusernames

ihateusernames

Jun 26, 2006
    I'm curious, since you have a bass and modeller/multi-effect that some consider pricey, can we assume you want quality and budget minded when you say cheap.

If you really want cheap and only cheap you might find an ART, H&K redbox, Whirlwind, DOD or Behringer on ebay or in a musicians classifieds somewhere for $15-$35. See here for example....http://instruments.search.ebay.com/...QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQsacatZ15197

16. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    Yeah, you have a good point. The reason is, I play mostly at church. They are provided there. I occasionally play out, but it is like4 times a year if that. Don't get me wrong I don't want a piece of junk, but I do not want to pay a pile for it.

17. oops its a radial proDI

18. I have a Behringer DI20 which is the cheapest one they make, but it's dual/split channel, phantom power, ground lift and all the things you need and it was cheap. nice little unit - no probs.

EDIT: I just went and looked up the specs on both these boxes and the active DI20 actually has a much better response range than the passive! The passive has a 40Hz - 20kHz response, while the active has 10Hz - 70kHz response. I would pick the active for a bass DI.

19. The MP1 is really a single tube (1 12AX&) mic preamp but it can be use to get your signal to the board. Must be pluged into 110 AC. Definetly NOT transparent.

20. ihateusernames

ihateusernames

Jun 26, 2006
    the general rule of thumb is active DI for passive instrument, passive DI for active instrument (multi effects included)

don't get too hung up on frequency responses, especially when dealing with inaudible and unusable frequencies. the console will get what the engineer needs with any quality DI.