good, cheap, gigging amp. any ideas?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Reg, Aug 29, 2000.

1. Reg

Aug 19, 2000
    Im looking for a really cheap gigging amp. It needs to be versatile, cheap, good sounding, cheap, and have the power to handle a say 100-150 person crowd.

Any ideas what i should go for? 4x10" or 1x15"? how many watts? combo or head? features is shpould look out for? Signs of a stuffed amp? etc. any help would be neccacary.

my current setup is:
    1 x fretless 4 string
    1 x fretted 4 string
    and a 1x15" peavy combo (not mine and is soon to be gone)

My style varies all the time. Im in a metal band (most often), a 70's cover band and a modern covers band, and im also into jazz and house stuff. (ie. needs to be really versatile)

Any ideas will help me
  2. Mr Bassman

Mr Bassman

Aug 28, 2000
    Is that all with the same band?! Soulds like U guys have a wicked mix.

I'm in almost the same situation as you in as my band play loads of varied original stuff from Jazz/Funk to reggae to rock.

I was looking at the Trace-Elliot Combos - the sound is not exactly that of a David eden (sweet amps!) but for the money (at least in the UK) they ar fairly good value. Make sure you shop around though - There are plenty of Music shops with "Gold-digger" salesmen!!

All the best - Niggy® aka Mr Bassman
  3. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    You can't go wrong with a good 4x10 for versatility.Plus a 4x10 will allow you to move up to bigger venues than 100-150 ( medium size club). I'm not a big fan of 1x15 when used alone.Its great with a 2x10 though.In a medium size club a good 2x10 would be very adequate and you could add another cabinet(like a 1x15) later.
    As for combo vs head/cab I definitely vote for the head/cab.There are some very fine combos out there but your flexibility is seriously limited.
    Given the information you gave (emphasis on the cheap part) I would try to find a good used 300 watt head and good used 2x10 cab and build from there.That will get you through the medium size club gigs with no difficulty.
    Good luck.
  4. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I will probably get slammed for this but here goes anyway, there are plenty of old Peavey Mark series heads around and will serve you well as what i call "getter-by amp".You can find them under 300 bucks easily.As for a cab, 15" cabs do not sound good alone so you cant go wrong with a good 410.
  5. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    I have little to no experience with these but i think a 1X15 & a 2X10 [SWR,Eden which ever you can afford] should do the trick or a SWR Triad with the 1X15 1X10 & horn. Make sure you get @ least 150watts if you're gonna be playing for that many people [a watt for every person]. that's all