Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

good/cheap software

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by BillytheBassist, Dec 28, 2005.

1. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    I am about to head out the door to go shopping for some recording software. Since i know that alot of you guy's do home recording and all of them sound really good, I thought i would ask for some advice on some recording software. I have about 100$ to spare on the software, I need something simple, and that will allow me create mp3 files and burn disc's etc. I'm a real noob at the software stuff so forgive me.
    Thanks & Peace :help:

2. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    Save yourself some money and download the freeware product called Audacity. It's a very powerful multi-track PC recorder. And did I mention it's free? ;)

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Once you get the hang of using that, you can look into commercial products to spend your hard earned sheckles on if you want to. ;)

Good luck and have fun!! :bassist:

3. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    Can the free version export mp3. files?,,,, and thanks

4. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    There's only one version and it's free. ;)

I haven't used it in a few months now, but I believe it does support MP3 and Wav conversions. I know it supports .wav, I just can't remember if it does mp3 also. :confused:

5. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    thanks alot pruitt, I'll give it a shot!

6. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    No problem. Glad to help. Considering the price, it's well worth checking out. IMHO, It's one of the better pieces of freeware I've ever come across over the years. Good luck!!! :)

7. CetiAlphaVI

CetiAlphaVI

May 27, 2005
    Midwest
    If your program doesn't do MP3's, can't Windows Media Player be set up to convert to MP3 format?

8. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    not too sure on that

9. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Follow the instructions on the Audacity site for downloading the LAME encoder for mp3 export. I've been using the Linux version of Audacity for about a year and I just downloaded the Windows one. Aside from the fact that the FX are not realtime, I have found Audacity to be stable and useful. I use it more for editing than multitracking.

10. Maurice Carr

Maurice Carr

Aug 7, 2004
    Mt Wellington, Auckland, NZ
    Authorised BFM and fEARful cab builder: New Zealand
    I recall going down this route last year and ended up buying a programme for a few bucks that converted wav to mp3 - nothing on windows media player or nero would do that.

Trouble is we have about 6 computers between family members and at work and I can't remember which one it;s on to give you the link - you'll have to google for it.

The software worked a treat though, that much I can remenber.

Mo

11. Maurice Carr

Maurice Carr

Aug 7, 2004
    Mt Wellington, Auckland, NZ
    Authorised BFM and fEARful cab builder: New Zealand
    There is an additional file you can download on that site that says it can export to mp3's from Audacity.

I have not tried it yet so cannot confirm it works.

EDIT: it's called Lame MP3 Encoder - looks a bit comlicated to download because of software patents!!!!

Mo

12. slapnuts

slapnuts

Aug 9, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    I use cakewalk Home Studio. Maybe try Sony Acid, a lot of people like it.

13. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    Thanks guy's and yea i'm haviing problems dloading the LAME encoder. I still need to figure out what the best soundcard for my money is as well.... any suggestion's?

14. slapnuts

slapnuts

Aug 9, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    What's your budget?

15. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    150$ max ATM.

16. slapnuts

slapnuts

Aug 9, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    The Turtle Beach Cards are really good. Go with just about any of them above 80 bucks.

17. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    Until recently, I used Cakewalk Guitar Tracks. For my purposes at the time, 8 tracks were plenty, and for $50, you can't really go wrong.

I now use Adobe Audition, which is considerably more expensive... but sometimes I do miss the interface of the Cakewalk, such as a much more intuitive clip editing system...

18. Audacity for 2 track.

Kristal for multi track.

Both free!

19. Guitar Tracks Pro 3 has either 16 or 32 tracks - I only just uninstalled it today to move to another machine. I really like it for recording.

Band in a Box also has recording of two tracks.

20. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

I bumped into the Edirol rep at a music store and was asking him some questions regarding a couple of limitations in my (registered) Cakewalk Home Studio program.

He said, "Here, this should fix it" and he gave me a copy of Sonar LE (64 tracks of digital audio and 256 MIDI tracks).

What a freakin awesome program it is. I will probably be upgrading to the full SONAR 5 to get the great plug-ins and soft synths that come with it.

SONAR is extremely powerful and easy to use. It doesn't hang up on my PC either.