1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Good Cheaper Power Amp to use with SansAmp RBI

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by squeally dan, Dec 16, 2016.

1. squeally dan

squeally dan

Mar 30, 2008
    I've been using a SansAmp RBI with no cabinet straight in to the board for most of my gigs. However, I'd like to start using my 4x10 cab with it for some larger rooms. I need a preamp and I know nothing about this stuff. What would work the best? Is their a 1 rack space power amp that would have enough power? I'd love to fit it in my current small rack. Also, currently low on funds so would love not to spend much.

Thanks!!

2. I play the carvin power amp. 1000 watts. Affordable new and super cheap used.

cableguy likes this.
  3. OP, you haven’t filled out your profile even though you joined eight years ago. If you reside in the Americas I too say look at Carvin’s power amps. I use them in my main amp (HD2000), my #2 amp (BX1500), my little PA (DCM1000L) my big PA mains (HD3000) and Monitors (DCM2004). All have worked as they should. :)

All my units are two space and light as a feather. I know nothing of the RBI but if it has enough output it might well drive the power amp directly.

4. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    I'm planning on getting an RBI to complement my Carvin DCM1000.

5. edervjo

edervjo

Nov 19, 2009
    Santa Rosa, Ca.
    I have an RPM, love it! It'll drive the board as well as any power amp you find, don't sweat it.
    I also have the 3 channel driver pedal, and I can plug that directly to my power amp as well.

6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    it'll drive a power amp all day long.

@squeally dan, if cheap is the goal then look at used QSC RMX amps, they're powerful and bulletproof. only issue is they're old-school heavy. if you want to go nicer and lighter, look for the PLX amps, those make terrific bass power amps (i use a PLX 3002 myself).

for new, light and still reasonably cheap, look at peavey IPR or the crown drivecores.

dunno about anything smaller than two rack spaces though, that's just not common.
    i assume you meant "power amp"? you have the preamp, that's what the RBI does.

Interceptor and Zooberwerx like this.
  7. edervjo

edervjo

Nov 19, 2009
    Santa Rosa, Ca.
    Get the RPM, same unit and great sound, but with more mid-control!!

ThudThudThud likes this.
  8. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Check your local CL. Chances are you'll find something really nice for under 2 bills. Tell us more about the 4 X 10 enclosure. If 8 ohm, you can snag a modestly powered (...and priced!) power amp and kick it into bridged mono.

FWIW, the RBI is a great preamp.

Riis

9. Agosix

Agosix Supporting Member

May 7, 2013
    Woodhaven NY
    Quilter BB800

10. KJMO

KJMO

Feb 6, 2015
    I bought a crown xls 1002 a while back, and couldn't be happier. Less than 10 lbs., plenty of power, and although the dsp is limited, it is useful for me (I highpass at 40hz). It also has the .75v setting for the input (I haven't needed it with my preamp, and it's noticeably cleaner at 1.5v). Good warranty and it was cheap (I got it from a retailer on ebay, made an offer). I almost got a behringer, but I actually don't think it's as good a deal when you consider everything.

Oh, sorry, I didn't see the 1 rackspace. No wonder everyone is recommending carvin!

radbass likes this.
  11. Depending on how deep the rack is you might get RBI in one side and amp on the other.

12. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    used

13. cableguy

cableguy

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    I've used Carvin with my RBI (HD1500 and DCML2000), but there are plenty of great power amps out there. If you're in a bigger city, browse the local CL. Otherwise look at Reverb or ebay. Used, old school & heavy usually = less expensive. Newer and light is more, but you will have a warranty if you buy new.

14. Five String

Five String Supporting Member

+1 on the Crown XLS 1000. The only problem is they have pretty low sensitivity. I have a '56 P knockoff with a low output single coil so I have had to use various boost mechanisms, such mic preamps, boost pedals, and or an fDeck so I don't have to max out the volume on my preamp. You may not need to do this with your bass or the SansAmp.

15. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

A used QSC power amp is just what the doctor ordered. Look for an older one without all the fancy digital extras. Can't go wrong with a Quilter. :thumbsup:

16. Rodger Bryan

Rodger Bryan Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Connecticut
    Great suggestions so far. I would go for a used QSC or a new Carvin DCM.
    I owned an older DCM1500 that was much more amp than I needed, but it served me well.

17. Thundar

Thundar Living in sin at the Holiday Inn

18. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    AZ, USA
    Power amps come in mono block (single channel and not common), two channel, and occasionally four channel. Two channel power amps are what most people are referring to when they speak of such things. There are some great deals to be had on older gear if you don't mind the schlep factor, and many people prefer the heavier amps. Your RBI will drive them readily. What you need to consider is whether or not the amp will push 2 ohms and whether or not it will bridge. Some amps are only 2 channel at 8 or 4 ohms per side. The more versatile models will do 8, 4, or 2 ohms per side, will bridge at 8 and 4 ohms, and have the ability to run in parallel. Some of the newer models also have DSP for use as PA amplifiers, but that is not needed for instrument amplification (IMO). If you are only planning on driving one cabinet or two in parallel, then it makes sense to purchase a lower power amp that can bridge to your power and impedance requirements. If you buy an amp that does not bridge, then you'll probably need a higher powered one because you won't be able to take advantage of the ability to bridge.

QSC RMX1450 (280W@8 Ohms), (450W@4 Ohms), (700W@2 Ohms), (1400W@4 Ohms bridged)
    -In this example, if you have an 8 ohm cab, 280 watts might not be sufficient. It might be enough for you if your cab is 4 ohms. It would surely be plenty if you bridge it whether you have 8 or 4 ohms. You might not consider this amp if it weren't for the ability to bridge.

QSC GX3 (300W@8 Ohms), (500W@4 Ohms)
    -This amp might not give you enough power at 8 ohms, but may be enough if you're driving 4 ohms. It does not drive 2 ohms and does not bridge.

Personally, I would not use an amp that does not bridge or do parallel because I use power amps for other things such as PA amps, subs, etc. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  19. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    While not sounding astonishingly good, but still good compared to what you'd have to pay for one, you could try one of Behringer's active PA speakers (eventual disable the horn, which I would advice in case you use any kind of dirt for your sound).

That way you would get both power amp and cabinet (sort of) in one, in case you don't already own a cabinet you can use.

Personally I own a Behringer Eurolive B112D that is rated to 345W (550W peak), I have connected through the Lineout of my 130 W Trace Elliot Combo, in case I need extra power, and disabled the horn (cause it sounds like crap with dirt effects).

In case you already got a cabinet you want to use, there's a band called The T.amp, that makes some pretty cheap power amps.

Just do a google search on "Behringer active PA speaker" or "The T.amp amplifier" in case you should be interested.

Edit:

Well, seems I didn't catch all of your post before I answered.

Anyway, try out the The T.amp I suggested.

Have no idea if they fit in your rack, but they are dead cheap at least, also I have no idea of the quality.

I just read cheap (and not cheaper and good, as you actually wrote) and went for the cheapest I could find.

Guess my advice is pretty useless then, when it all comes down to it.

So nothing to see here, Carvin is probably a great choise.

Anyway, good luck :)

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016