1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good Cheapo Half-Stack

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mrbass02, Mar 14, 2009.

1. mrbass02

mrbass02

Nov 15, 2008
    indy
    Lookin' for a half stack in the price range of 200-300. I will buy used if i have to. and don't tell me, oh its out of your price range but you could buy a markbass. I dont care! I hav no money! I cannot afford anything over 300. and i'm lookin for reccomendations where people have had experience with the product.

2. RobertPaulson

RobertPaulson

Dec 11, 2008
    Des Moines
    200-300 is pretty limiting for any half stack, but check out the acoustic brand at guitar center, those are pretty nice for the money.

3. mrbass02

mrbass02

Nov 15, 2008
    indy
    is the gallien kreuger brat package any good? I heard it just shuts off if it overheats, which would kinda suck in a gig.

4. rapturebass

rapturebass

Dec 6, 2008
    Connecticut
  5. rapturebass

rapturebass

Dec 6, 2008
    Connecticut
    P.S. what about the brat? I've heard at 125 watts it isn't something you should buy to play even small gigs.

6. the yeti

the yeti

Nov 6, 2007
    raleigh, nc
    used is the way to go i think...
    you can pick up a decent head or cab at a pretty good price from time to time, you just have to look and be ready to pull the trigger when it comes up. $300 is stretching it but is possible...

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/msg/1074779363.html

125 watts is probably not what you're looking for but you get the idea i think.

7. jufros

jufros

Nov 24, 2008
    Used GK Backline 600 head and a Seismic Audio Cabinet. Great rig for the money.

8. mrbass02

mrbass02

Nov 15, 2008
    indy
    a very loud combo could also work?

9. Look for some Hartke gear. They have a pretty good price point new and even better when theyre used.

Im sure you can find one of their 4x10's used for 3 bills

10. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Well, any amp that doesn't shut down when it overheats doesn't last for another chance. The trick is to avoid situations that overheat the equipment.

As for "good" and "cheap," those two words are usually mutually-exclusive. You rarely get both at once.

11. the yeti

the yeti

Nov 6, 2007
    raleigh, nc
    yes. that really depends on the application and on what you mean by "very loud". if you want to jam with a drummer there's plenty of options that are loud enough. if you have to have something today you may have some trouble finding something in your budget. if you take your time and shop hard (like dewey cox would) you'll be surprised what you'll find. bottom line- you have to decide what works, there's options out there in your budget. they probably aren't going to be the coolest thing going (on the other hand you might get really lucky) but if you like the sound and can play chances are someone else will too.

12. hrgiger

hrgiger

Jan 11, 2009
    You should find a Peavey 215D cab, one of the better 215 cabs ever made, then slap a Peavey mark VI or so head on it, and you'll have a very good stack for less than $300!

13. Rock-Bassman

Rock-Bassman

Dec 25, 2008
    Boston
    I would giv you an offer but it against da rulz :oops:

14. mrbass02

mrbass02

Nov 15, 2008
    indy
    no one will know......:bag:

15. mrbass02

mrbass02

Nov 15, 2008
    indy
    anyone??????????????????

16. I second the motion of going vintage peavey.

17. Greyvagabond

Greyvagabond Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Either used Peavey or new Acoustic from GC. I think the Acoustic has a bit more character, but those old Peavey's are workhorses!