Good, clean sound?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by ollielangfan, Apr 3, 2005.

1. ollielangfan

Apr 3, 2005
    Nampa, ID
    I'm really new so this is probably gonna sound really dumb but how do you get that good clean sound when your playing? I mean when Im playing it sounds more like an acoustic or somthin how do you get it to play that really deep dun! dun! dun!, you know what im sayin? like I was listening to Queen and ther bass on "Another one bites the dust sounds sweet! I mean I put me fingers in the right spot i pressed down hard on the strings and it still feels weird! can someone help me out? please.
  2. Thisperson

Aug 19, 2004
    Your sound will get better over time as you practice more. Make sure to mute your strings also when theyre not being played. It can also depend on what gear you're using, and what your tuning is.
  3. ollielangfan

Apr 3, 2005
    Nampa, ID
  4. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    As fas as technique goes, it is easiest to get a good thumpy defined tone by both muting your strings with the right hand as well has having a good "through" attack on the string. This would mean pushing your finger through the string instead of across it, and letting your finger hit the string "below" it (as in tonal, not orientation). If you are playing on teh A string, then your finger would stop on teh E string, and the second finger would touch the A string as your first finger finishes it's stroke. Hope that makes some sense.
  5. I find that that particular song sounds best if I either palm mute the string I'm playing or mute with a fretting hand finger.
  6. Take a look at your left hand and see how much your fingers are moving. They shouldn't have to move that much. Keep economy of motion in mind, and you'll end up playing cleaner.
  7. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    You said you were new, if this is way to basic I apologize in advance!!! As far as your right hand goes, practice alternating fingerings with your index and middle fingers on open strings, forget about your left hand for now. Go slowly and evenly, speed is not important, consistant even volume and tone are what you are looking for. Each "thump" should sound exactly the same. The exact technique for "fingering" the string is impossible to explain verbally, it varies greatly, depending on your bass, how your bass is set up, your anatomy, etc. This is why it is important to TAKE LESSONS. Make sure there are no fingernails touching the strings. If you move further back toward the bridge you can pull harder through the strings. The "playing cleanly" issue will come with time, there are many different ways of muting unwanted noises and most good players use a combination of both hands, it is something that will come naturally, you won't even have to think about it after a while.