1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good clean SS head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BASSKADET, Sep 30, 2008.

1. BASSKADET

BASSKADET Gold Supporting Member

May 17, 2007
    NC
    I have a Hybrid and a all tube(SVT). I guess I'm looking for a high power SS head that does not color. Any suggestions?

2. A few questions:

1) budget?
    2) Size/weight requirements if any (i.e Micro, 20 pounds, no limit, etc.).
    3) Do you need 2ohm operation?

3. BASSKADET

May 17, 2007
    NC
    Hi Ken, Still loving the Berg.
    1. open
    2. somewhat light(bad back)
    3. 2 ohm would be nice but not mandatory.

Peter

4. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
    I for one feel that every bass amplifier colors your tone, it's just that some are more tasteful to ones ears then another.

My vote goes for the Eden WT405.
    Plenty of power
    Does 2ohms easily
    Fits your weight bracket
    Great sounding compressor
    Best head Eden makes IMO

5. +1 to the 405... lightweight, relatively small, 2ohm safe, warm but clean. The only piece of Eden gear I would own at this point.

If you want a more organic, woody, natural sounding head (i.e, warm forward mids and a nice, natural top end), the Acoustic Image Focus III single channel is pretty awesome.... super lightweight, 2ohm safe, limited EQ, but that's not what it's about. However, not really sure about the matchup with your Berg cabs. I didn't have much luck with it with the Berg cabs I have.

I absolutely love my Markbass F1. It's my favorite SS amp... very small and lightweight, loud as heck... relatively even and transparent, but with some aggressive punch capability... but no 2ohm operation.

6. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I've been using a Carvin for about 15 years with no complaints whatsoever. The B-1500 looks to have the headroom you need for cleanliness, and the price is pretty sweet too.

7. If not for the relatively light weight requirement, that would also be on my short list.

8. jjl5590

jjl5590 Banned

Mar 28, 2008
    London, UK
    the warwick profet 5.1 doesnt colour the sound at all and is cheap

9. BASSKADET

May 17, 2007
    NC
    I forgot to mention that I have two Berg cabs a NV610 and a HT210S both 4 ohms. Any thoughts on a Glock?

10. I use the Acoustic Image Clarus II Series 3. It is 5 lbs, capable of 2ohm operation (550W), very clean (minimal coloring noticed).

11. BASSKADET

May 17, 2007
    NC
    What cab do you use with it?

12. MARKBASS LITTLE MARK II

13. Funkdrawer4

Funkdrawer4 Registered Abuser

If your wanting to avoid color stay away from the Crayola64:smug:

14. chris.gotfunk

chris.gotfunk

Mar 21, 2007
    Ashburn, Va
    My vote goes for Euphonic Audio. Either the iAmp 500 or 800. Both are 2 ohm stable and crystal clear. They are a little pricey new $899 and $1,199 respectively...I think. If you do not need 500-800 watts, the micro 300 is pretty good for a nice price as well.
    Very clean sound. You get out what you put in.

My .02
    Peace,
    Chris

15. BASSKADET

May 17, 2007
    NC
    No worry, I gave up my crayolas a long time ago.:D

16. Coelho

Coelho

May 10, 2006
    Astoria, NY
    markbass sd800.

17. BASSKADET

May 17, 2007
    NC
    Chris, Did you end up buying the 800 from nosajwp ?

18. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    +1! I'm a big solid state fan and I've owned GK, EA, Carvin and others. The Markbass SD800 has been my personal favorite, with the GK 1001RB-II coming in a close second.

Just my $.02

19. The HeartRock is only good to 2.67ohms, and the Soul is overpriced and underpowered IMO. The HeartRock is also a big, massive, heavy beast.

If I was going for that creamy tone, I'd wait and pick up one of the new Epifani PS1000's... similar tone (assuming they keep the voicing similar to the current line), more wattage, half the price and weight and size.

20. The SD800, per the posts above, would be KILLER with the NV610... not so much with the HT210S (too much 'wide, open and pure' meets 'wide, open, and pure' IMO and IME). It's a GREAT head for a vintage sealed cab if you are looking for the maximum wump with the lowest weight (it's under 10 pounds!).