1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good clip-on mics for upright bass

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by hgrind, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    Is it a longer boom, or a wider side clamp that you're talking about? I have short booms in stock, but I was not aware of longer booms.

2. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    A longer boom coming up from the bottom of the instrument. I thought they offered such a thing. I should just make one....

3. byrdzeye

byrdzeye

Mar 28, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    The A-T Pro-series are their cheaper mics, the ATM's are professional mics in every way, especially much tighter specs, smoother response, lower distortion, etc. I would always go with an ATM over the Pro mics. Of course, I would love to stick a U47 or U87 in front of my bass if money were no object. :)

4. LHbassist

LHbassist Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2003
    Reno, Nevada
    I'm a string bass repairman... I fabricated a tailpiece mount out of some brass stock. Works killer- but the AT 2020 is WAY too heavy to mount offset on a bracket. It put a twisting force on the tailpiece that cannot be good for my bass. After trying it for about ten minutes- I realized it would be totally unsuitable. The small condensers are the way to go... or just use one like I have, and be mindful of where you stand.
    Until my budget allows, that's what I will do. The somewhat negatively spoken of Pro35 Audio Technica seems like a decent, inexpensive mic- Scott Colley has reportedly used one to great effect.
    For a hundred bucks or so, it might be worth a try.

5. LHbassist

Apr 4, 2003
    Reno, Nevada
    Well, luck be a lady tonight! I just purchased an Audio Technica ATM 350 here from a talk bass'er- and he's shipping it to me on Monday- so, I'll get to experiment further in the realm of mic'ing my bass. I know the Audio Technica 2020 sounds great, and look forward to clipping this mic on and finding the 'sweet spot' on my bass. I do have a rehearsal coming up- the music we play, is my "Desert Island" music- Lee Morgan, Horace Silver, Art Blakey- and the mic captures that woody old mostly gut sound the great post bop cats had. The added ambiance and tone the mic added to my live sound, proved to me that using a mic, blended with a pickup in varying degrees, is the way to go.

6. Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    First thing you can look forward to is trying to find a place to fit that ridiculous skinny little horn rim clip. Best results I had were clipping it to an H-Clamp. The mic is fairly widely used on instruments other than a horn you'd think AT might offer something with a wider jaw. You can undo a tiny set screw and pull the clip off and if I were still using my ATM350 I'd do that and get the DPA 4099B mounting clip for it.
    DPA 4099 mounting clip.

7. Before mounting the clip off try clipping it to the DPA bass holder.
    I forgot to try that with my old ATM 35 and needed to make a clamp over the gooseneck holding rubber part made of aluminum, otherwise the gooseneck might fall out of the holder.
    The ATM gooseneck it a bit short, so there is only one way to bring it down close to the top using the underlength holder.
    Clipping it to a larger adjuster wheel might be another option.

Jeff Bonny likes this.
  8. LHbassist

Apr 4, 2003
    Reno, Nevada
    Very hip idea, Jeff! WHERE can I get one? I looked, and the PDF file says it's 32 bucks. But no page came up on the site other than that. Any U.S. distributors have them?

9. LHbassist

Apr 4, 2003
    Reno, Nevada
    If I can't get one of those DPA rubber mounts, I'll likely make something- I'm a string bass repairman.
    I think a simple removable clamp on extension, in maple, off of one of the bridge feet - or in the center under the heart, would work great. I'll see when I receive it what's up.

10. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    LH Bassist,
    B and H Photo Carries them, and they have gone down in price to $34.00, they were originally somewhere around $60.00 when DPA introduced them.
    Here's the link. It works quite well.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/715124-REG/DPA_Microphones_BC4099_Mounting_Clip_for_DPA.html

Ric

Jeff Bonny likes this.
  11. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    We've got 'em for $30; we don't have them on the site, but they're in stock. Just give us a call. ;-)

12. Here's a simple solution:
    -buy the cheapest Snark tuner you can get.
    -Remove the tuner head (it just pops out) from the stem that is attached to the spring clip.
    - position the stem so it points straight up from the top of the spring clip. Glue it in so it won't move.
    - attach the spring clip to the side of the bridge (as if you were using the tuner) just above where the adjusters are or would be.
    - clip the ATM the the glued-in stem that is sticking out.
    - you can also attach the spring clip between the feet on the underside of the bridge ...or anywhere else on the bridge that allows the mic to reach the best spot.
    It works with my ATM 350. I have the indented adjusters which make it impossible to attach it with the mic's clip. And the small spring clip seems like it was designed for a sax or trumpet.
    If that doesn't work for you....send Mark Gollihur 30 bucks for the DPA rubber mount.:)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  13. Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Mark, am I correct to assume it comes with the sleeve that presses over the rubber to securely capture the goose neck? This is absolutely essential to its function. (pics2&3)

To satisfy my curiosity and make sure I wasn't spewing bad advice I just checked the AT350 mounted in the DPA clip and it does work. Something to be aware of is that the AT350 goose neck is considerably smaller in diameter than the DPA 4099B and will need to be shimmed to be completely secure. I'd use layers of heat shrink tubing but tape would work for testing purposes. Another thing is that mounted directly to the DPA clip it seems most practical to mic the belly (pic1). This works fine but lot of people have had good results going slightly off axis pointed at the G side F-hole which this clip will facilitate to some degree but might not get you quite close enough to catch a sweet spot on your bass (pic4). However the ATM clipped onto the side of the DPA mount gets you closer (pic5). Of course best position will vary a lot from bass to bass. My experience was I liked the sound of the belly more but could get more volume placing the mic about a half inch off the edge of the F-hole and playing with the axis angle to control the feedback....a pretty fussy process.

One of these DPA clips will definitely give you some very useable options for positioning an ATM350. Here are some pics. Sorry for the lousy quality the only camera I have right now is my phone.

IMG_0611.JPG
    The sleeve lock system.

IMG_0616.JPG
    IMG_0617.JPG
    F-hole position with the goose neck mounted directly to the DPA clip. It's maybe a little far away and note I'm having to hold the mic in place as the weight of the cable is wanting to swing it away from the bass. It really does need to be shimmed.

IMG_0615.JPG

And clipped onto the side of the DPA mount which buys you an inch or so that may or may not be critical to you.

IMG_0618.JPG

MR PC and Jake deVilliers like this.
  14. stefaniw80401

stefaniw80401 Supporting Member

May 18, 2004
    Evergreen, Colorado
    Su-wheat!

15. Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Packing up the ATM350 I noticed the mic clip I'd customized to fit and thought for the hell of it I'd show how effective the H-Clamp can be too.

IMG_0619.JPG

16. I just wanted to share how my kondenser mic is mounted to my bass. It is a Crown GLM 100. It is simply held in place in the wing hole by a piece of foam rubber. The cable runs the length of the back of the tailpiece with a piece of tape over it, down to the floor and on to my pre amp. This way you can also mount the mike under the opposite wing (closer to the G-side f-hole), or even in the hole in the heart of the bridge for a more central position. The mic is tilted a bit across the deck for a more airy sound.

CIMG1747.JPG CIMG1749.JPG

17. Don Sibley

Don Sibley

Jun 27, 2005
    Fort Worth, TX
    I only use it for FOH but I'm a huge fan of the DPA 4099B. Best money I ever spent and worth every penny. Huge, balanced frequency range response from the authoritative fundamentals all the way up to crispy highs. Sits in the mix perfectly. Pretty solid feedback rejection but the Troll probably rules that arena for backline. I just wasn't feeling the dark, boomy sound of the Troll. I think it would be too easy to get covered up in a group. YMMV.

18. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    I like what you did with the 350 and the H Clip there - it gives you a tremendous amount of choice.

19. stefaniw80401

stefaniw80401 Supporting Member

May 18, 2004
    Evergreen, Colorado
    GLM-200 ... I like ... I want.

20. Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    In terms of fine tuning mic position the H-Clamp is an excellent option.....eventually I'll fab a standard mic clip for the 4099B too. I can tinker all day but when it comes to using gear out in the world I am lazy as the day is long and being able to leave the mic permanently mounted makes the DPA clip pretty appealing.

Jake deVilliers likes this.