1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good colleges for a music performance degree?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by RyRob813, Jun 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RyRob813

RyRob813

Jun 7, 2007
    St. Paul, MN
    Reeaaallly want to go to college to earn a music performance degree, playing music for a living is possibly the closest I could get to paradise.

My main problem in my search so far has been finding schools that offer a good bass guitar performance program. I've already looked at Berklee, as it comes up first on every search, but anywhere a little less expensive?

Also, bass guitar is my primary instrument, but I do have (much less of) an ability to play upright, and have four years experience in my high school orchestra- should I put emphasis on this when interviewing?

Thanks!

2. AdlerAugen

AdlerAugen

Aug 9, 2006
    didn't you post this in off topic?

anyway for bass guitar, you're probably better off to just start giggin than wastin your money on college for it. Upright bass college would be ok if you want to get more into orchestral stuff, but college is a big investment. Do you really need to go to college to play bass guitar for a living? No you don't, however you do need to find some good bandmates who are dedicated as you are.

3. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I always recommend North Texas. You will need to play upright but you can (and really expected to) play EB. The cost of tuition is a great value. You'll meet a lot of great players. When I was there, I was primarily an EB player but I had to take my lessons on upright. There were many players like that there at the time. Although they don't have an EB instructor, you'll still learn to play bass.

At Berklee you could learn and make a lot of good contacts too but the tuition is SO expensive.

You might also want to look into Jeff Berlin's school in FL or BIT in CA.

4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Double posting isn't cool.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.