1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good combo amp for under 500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by afinalfantasy, Mar 4, 2008.

1. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Banned

Jan 11, 2006
    I'm going to get an amp as a graduation present this year, but I'm not sure which one to go for. I only need a combo amp as I record my own music and live in the basement, so nothing really loud is required. I'm thinking of the Fender Bassmaster 150, but I'm not sure if Fender make as good as amps as their instruments.

Any suggestions would be great, thanks. By the way, I mean $500 Canadian.

2. toytech

toytech

Mar 22, 2004
    San Leandro
    A used Peavey BAM 210

3. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    For your purposes, a Roland Cube 100 would be perfect. In my opinion, it sounds much better than the Fender, which I considered and played alongside the Roland. The Ampeg BA 112 with 50 watts would be good for recording too. The newer SWR WorkingPro combos are also excellent, and IMO better than the Fender.

4. victor6

victor6

Dec 2, 2007
    SWR WorkingPro 12 ... regularly they are $549 street price, but I see them on sale for $499 at times.

Really nice ... and a definite step up from the Fender Bassman 150.

Victor

5. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Banned

Jan 11, 2006
    I'm a bit hesitant of SWR's as my LA15 is not good at all, no tonal diversity and really just boring overall.

I'm looking for something that is 100 Watts or above basically and with an effects loop. I'm pretty damn sure that there are no stacks in Canadian prices that would be $500 or less

6. toytech

toytech

Mar 22, 2004
    San Leandro
    The Bam 210 is 350 watts, or 500 with a 4 ohm extension cab. It also has built in effects and cab modeling, and a DI out. see them for around 400 or so used from time to time, and you won't need something bigger later, just add a cab.

7. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Banned

Jan 11, 2006
    Ah, that sounds pretty good, but I'm not too much of a fan of built in effects unless it's a certain amp, like my Line 6 I use for my guitar, but only sometimes.

This one guy I know would sell me his old Peavey amp with an 8x10 for 300$, but I'm not sure if I should buy it. The Peavey's I played in the past were pretty spotty and I was no impressed with them, it's an early 90s head.

8. CraigG

CraigG

Mar 14, 2006
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Eden Nemesis NC210 or 212 are great combos and should be pretty close to your budget.

9. Spencer!

Spencer!

Jun 25, 2006
    Seattle
    Owner, Pike Amplification & 3Leaf Audio
    Epifani's Underground line is coming out soon, and I hear there's a 112 combo in the line that'll be around $500.

10. i am actually going to recommend avoiding the ampeg combos...

I do not find them worth the money at all..

11. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Banned

Jan 11, 2006
    Does Eden actually make amps in that price range? I haven't found one that is online that ships to Canada

Epifani's sound nice as well, but then again I don't know anyone who ships them to Canada.