Good Combo Amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by metallicarules, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Sorry, I did a search, and while I did get some ideas, I couldn't find the specific information I was looking for.
    It looks like I might be joining real, albeit casual band in the near future and I'm going to need an amp. Initially I was looking for a decent head and a cab, but my financial situation has changed slightly and I am now looking for something a little cheaper. I am hoping to find some decent used equipment, and I have decided that in the future I can always upgrade, so for now I'm just looking for something that can keep up in practices. I will probably be playing in a rock band with 2 guitars.

Some specific amps I have seen mentioned are the Peavey TNT, GK400RB, SWR Workingman, and Carvin Redeye. How do these amps rate as far as volume goes? Will I be able to keep up? Price? Tone? Can you add an extension cab if needed? Are there any other amps you could recommend?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
  2. sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    I love my Peavey TNT 115 S combo. I had a SWR WM 12 combo beforehand and the Peavey blows the doors off the SWR.

Great price, super tone and can be had for under $300.00.

I have a Boss CE-B chorus pedal and a Sansamp SBDDI going straight into the amp. Handles them very well.
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Give a serious look at Eden Nemesis. Super loud, good rock tone. You can even find them on eBay.
  4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Ampeg B100R is a great little combo. 100W, $500 new but you should be able to pick up a used one for round $300.
  5. I liked the Peavey TNT and think is very good for the price.. as well as most peaveys.
  6. Check out the new Mesa Boogie Venture. It's got the same head as the one I just bought, the M-Pulse 600. I don't know if 600 watts is too much for ya though. ;)
  7. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    I have an Ampeg B-100R and like the tone, but I would say the Peavey 150w combo's get a lot louder for a rock band setting (as long as you have one with a 15" Black Widow).
  8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I grabbed an Ashdown MAG series 112 combo for just over $300, watch eBay, they come up every week or so.... buckets of tone, 200watts when hooked to an external 8 ohm cab (getting a bergantino EX112 to add).

The ABM line smokes the MAG but was a bit more then I had to play with.

The Electric Blue have got good reviews... but no external speakers allowed
  9. Thanks for the replies so far. There are a bunch of TNT's on ebay and even a couple Nemesis', but it is pretty pointless to look because I live in Canada so with the exchange, shipping and taxes I might as well just buy from the local music shop.

I was looking at the specs for the TNT on the peavey website, and it says that the new ones have a 15" blue marvel speaker. Is this as good as the black widow? If I am looking at a used TNT, how do I tell which speaker it has? Also, I'm assuming an external cab could be added because it says it can handle a 2 ohm load.

Btw, I did see an ampeg SVT-III pro 2x10 combo amp on ebay that was at $500. It will probably go much higher, but I thought I'd mention it if anyone wanted to have a look.
  10. Ok, I just saw an Eden Nemesis on ebay and the seller is from Canada believe it or not and will pay shipping. However, it is a 1x15 setup not a 2x10, how does this compare. Also I've heard that it isn't really practical to add extension cabs to these amps because they run in series. Will the 1x15 be loud/clear enough by itself?
  11. sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    If you are leaning towards the Nemesis, I would go with the 2x10 Combo. I know a few people who have had the 1x15 combo and thought it lacked power and definition even though the wattage is the same.

The 2x10 is a nice cabinet and here are some reviews if interested.
  12. chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    If you're form Canada, check out Yorkville Sound. I rented a 1x 15 combo when my SWR was in the shop. It really kicked! I know their speaker cabs got great reviews in Bass Player.
  13. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Ampeg b100r has a great thick tone and is amazingly loud for 100w. It also sounds great when you run it wide open. :D
  14. Keep an eye out for a used Metro on Ebay. They can be had for about $800. It is the BEST combo amp out there. I got mine for about that. IMHO it is the best combo in the price range.
  15. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

That's a great question, metallica because SPL so often doesn't tell the whole story.

Although I'd prefer the 15" for it's "boom" I think the 2x10 is going to let the audience hear your bass better, all things being equal. 10's have more "cut" in their ability to punch through....more SPL than the 15" in the Nemesis line.

Either way, I don't think you can lose with a Nemesis. They're quite kickass for the volume you get at their price point. I don't know of a louder amp for the money that sounds that decent. But Ampeg is definitely something to look at, too.

Getting the sound you want, irregardless of volume, is what makes you happier.
  16. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Take a look at the Fender Bassman series, too.
  17. Look for an old Yorkville 200B - there are a couple for sale HERE in Canada. It's a single 15, but for the price and durability you can't go wrong.

The newer Yorkville XM200T would be ideal comparison with the others, as it is a 2x10.

There is at least one for sale HERE for $450 CAD ($300 US).

Good luck - and try as many out as you can before buying.

18. Thanks for the replies guys. I saw a band play and the bassist was using a Yorkville 400B and was keeping up fine with two 100 watt Marshall's. Anyway, I have a lot of options now so it is just a matter of getting out there and seeing what I can find.
  19. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    I had a Nemesis 210 a few years ago and it was nowhere near loud enough. I dont know if something in the amp was defective or what, but when I cranked it up, amp farts was all I got. Then again, maybe the band was just too loud for it.

At lower volumes though, the sound couldn't be beat, so if you're not gonna be turning up real loud, I recommend it.
  20. After years of lugging a giant rig around and not finding the sound I was looking for, I discovered Eden. After some serious comparison research, I bought an Eden Nemesis 4x10 combo. Now the sound I was looking for is all in one box and I don't have to lug a huge rig to every gig. I highly recommend the Nemesis 4x10 combo. I play in a 3 piece rock band with a hard hitting drummer and a gtr player using a very loud Line 6 and believe me my Nemesis has no problem splitting their skulls. It took just a few minor tweaks to get the right punch, bottom, and tone I've always wanted and since then I haven't looked at another rig. Well, maybe a few other Eden products. The 4x10 combo might be a little more money and a little bigger than what you're looking for, but its well worth it. I've used my combo in many application (studios, big and small bars, large and small outdoor gigs, and even a tiny coffee house) and I have never been disappointed.