Good Combo for <$100?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jodathmorr, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Hey there. I just bought my BG-120 Essex from Rondo and my next hurdle is to decided what amp I should get. I want to buy a combo for now because I don't have the money for a seperate cab and head. I was looking in my Musicians Friend magazine and they had a few Crates, Beheringers, and Rogue amps on sale. They were between $50-$100 but they must stink if they were that little.

I would use this amp primarially (sp?) for practicing at home and most likely to play shows. Not huge ones but like dances, school shows, little venues, ect. I think someone told me to get a 65watt amp but I don't know what I should do. Can someone give me some advice? Models and makers?
  2. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    you're not going to get far on an amp for $50-100. any smalll amp worth the space it takes up is going to cost you anywhere from $200-450. or, buy a di box and just play into the pa.
  3. fclef

Jan 10, 2003
    I personally have an Ibanez 65w amp w/ a 10db gain.($269 approx) It's ok for practice and small venue gigs. A good combo is the Hartke 65 (Lots of Bottom.) I only found that out after I just bought the Ibanez, but it's about the same price. My advice-- go for the Hartke.
  4. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    You can get a Hartke B60 combo for around $250, if you look. I wouldn't bother spending any less than that. I shopped around, and this is the cheapest, best sounding amp (for that kind of scratch), to my ears. Any cheaper and you'll start to hear a difference real quick.
  5. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    you own the Ibanez amp personally?
  6. StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    what if he gets any expensiver?:p
  7. Musiciansfriend has a Behringer for around 100. I've play a few Behringer combos and I like them.
  8. Yea I was looking at the Beheringer.

How about amps in the $100-300 range? I guess I could save up for a few more weeks.
  9. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Then the amps will get proportionally betterer. But seeing as he had a low budget to begin with, I found this is the cheapest I would be willing to go and still get a good sound.
  10. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    look into used gear... :rolleyes:
  11. I've also been browsing ebay. Some of their stuff is priced just at much as getting new would be. And if im going to buy second hand (by second hand I mean kinda beat up and dusty) I want to buy at a second hand price.... Stuff is a lot of cash there.
  12. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Check your local paper and buy used. You will get a better amp that way.
  13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Dont get the Rogue!

I got the 100 watt $200 dolar version, and it sucked.

I wouldnt have even bought it had it not been that I was buying for the school band and they were on a very tight budget (of course the football team isnt).

It hohnestly isnt even worth the price of shipping.

Its distorted at medium to high volumes and just sounds bad at low volumes.

Its heavy, and just not worth it.