Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good combo for 400$?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FleaisGod, Sep 25, 2000.

1. FleaisGod

FleaisGod Guest

Jun 18, 2000
    Atlanta, GA

Hey all,

I'm looking for a good loud combo amp for 400$ dollars or less. I've been looking into ampeg and SWR as of now. Im looking for a great low-end and good versatility (I like to play many different styles)BTW, right now i have a Peavey microbass :)

Thanks,
    -Rob

2. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    The Ampeg BA-115 is under $400, and some people here rave about the B100R for a tad over $400.

Dave

3. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I'll second that on the Ampeg BA-115.

4. FleaisGod

FleaisGod Guest

Jun 18, 2000
    Atlanta, GA
    What kind of sound do you get out of the BA-115?
    Thanks,
    -Rob

5. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    You can get anything between great low, smooth sound to a something that sounds like the amp is in a bathroom. (?)

It has a style switch with five positions that can really change the sound. BTW, what exactly does the switch do? Does it change the crossover or something?

6. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Ive got the BA-115 also.Excellent amp!Paid 350+tax at area dealer.Ive no idea how the style switch works but it gives more tonal variety than can be had with the B-100R.Good luck!

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    If you're looking for the really extended high end sound, you're better off with the BA. I use a B-100R (and slap) but it is more of a phatter, old school kind of sound. Look up "buttery" in the dictionary and you'll find a picture of....butter. I still can't believe the extended low end on this combo. I have the one I like :D, YMMV.

8. FleaisGod

FleaisGod Guest

Jun 18, 2000
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks alot guys,
    One more question(maybe), i was wondering if the BA-115 gets loud, i mean can it handle a small gig? (like a party or something like that) Thanks!
    -Rob

9. Old Blue

Old Blue

Mar 18, 2000
    Texas
    FG - Just for your info, I saw a BA-115 on eBay this morning for what looked like a good price. You may want to take a look and make a bid on it. I have a B-100R, which is kinda similar, and it's a great amp.

10. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    I'm sure it can, but I haven't gigged with it yet. Andy Daventry (I don't know if he's still here) used the 12in. version for his gigs....

11. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Rob,the 115 can EASILY handle small gigs.Andy had to go for more power but his 112 had 50 watts as opposed to 100 for the 115.Good luck!

12. Peavey's Combo 115 is also a great choice. You can get a very good used one for $400.

John

13. FleaisGod

FleaisGod Guest

Jun 18, 2000
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks guys!
    I'm am almostly definately going for the ba-115, i just need to save up some money for it, which shouldn't take me too long. The one on ebay has a great price, only 225, but i dont have the money right now. *sigh*.
    Thanks again,
    -Rob

14. If you want, take a look at the Hartke Kickback models. the 12 is decent and you can get it for less than $400 new. Though the kickback 15 isn't too much more than that and eve better. Though take a look at the kickback 12.

15. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I'm trying to sell my Ampeg B2 combo and I'll take $400 for it. 200 watts, 350 with another 8 ohm cab. Price new is $589 at GC. But that would be tough getting it to you...

If you must go new, here's my recommendations:
    Most SWR is a bit out of your range. At GC, the Workingmans 15 is $599 (649 not on sale), the WM 12 is $499. The WM 10 is a personal fave of mine. It's the greatest practice amp ever. It's 80 watts and a small cube that's light. Sound is great and you can even drive another 8 ohm cab with it. But at $389, it seems expensive for such a little amp. I'd say it'd be good for you, but you will eventually need another bigger amp.

Ampeg stuff is good. So's crate, but they are owned by the same company. For the same amount of $$$, a crate may be bigger and more feature packed. But ampeg is more known as a bass related company. But same warrantee.

Fender's new stuff is GREAT. Look into them, even though they may be a little pricier than you want.

Look "slightly used" and you may find a good amp that will last and sound good and be bigger for the buck than anything new.

16. For example, I'm selling an SWR Workingman's 15 that is really in "as new" condition (I never used it much) for $450.

17. lawnpatio

lawnpatio

Jun 27, 2000
    You should really check into those Hartke combos. I did a little test on the Kickback 15 and a Crate 15 inch combo. I'm sorry, but the Hartke was alot louder, better tone, and the lows were SO much better.

Lawnpatio