Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good Combo for Gigs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by walking_spanish, Dec 25, 2005.

1. I'm going to be gigging alot more in the coming months and am looking to upgrade my amp to something larger. I've been looking at a few and I am fairly interested in the Vox T-60, SWR Workingmans 15, and the Fender Rumble 100. I have tried both the SWR and Fender, and am going off of reputation on the Vox. I'll be playing anywhere form small coffeeshop gigs to small clubs (max 200 people) The basses I'll be playing are a vintage Fender J and a vintage Gibson EB-0. Any comments on the amps mentioned or suggestions as to other amps would be great. Thanks.

PS: I am looking to spend $400 or so max.

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I doubt the Vox or Fender will stand up to what you need. The SWR probably will.

Myself, for $400 max, I'd get the Yorkville XM 200, either the 15 or 2X10 model. I've used it for various gigs in fairly large rooms with a too loud guitarist and drummer and it puts out a lot of sound. It's very reliable, the warranty is unbeatable and it's made in Canada.

There's nothing wrong with those other brands but I think they're a bit overpriced for what you get. The Vox and Fender are a bit underpowered.

3. Ashdown Mag C-115
    300 watts (w/ extention speaker)
    Gig worthy
    $429.95 at www.zzounds.com with free shipping.
    Add a 210 later to get the full 300 watts.

Try Musicians Friend, Bass Central, NWBass, etc. also.

4. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001

I'll second the Yorkville :hyper:

5. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I second the yorkville xm200. check ebay for under $400 xm200's. The xm200 is great for tone AND you can attach extra speaker while the internal is still running for extra volume!!!

6. Naidon

Naidon

Aug 17, 2003
    new jersey
    i've been looking to get something similar to the poster's question, doing some research now...

how do the swr workingmans 15 and the yorkville xm200 compare to, say, gk backline 115 or ampeg ba115? is yorkville the best choice here?

7. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I like the Yorkville better than the Workingman. I do think it's exceptionaly good value. I can't say about the Ampeg you mention as I haven't used that model. I'd never recommend anything I haven't used myself.

You can get the Yorkville with the tough spray on coating rather than carpet. It looks better and doesn't pick up odour.

I was impressed enough with the Yorkville to buy it and used it for gigs for a year. I only traded it in on a new Mesa Walkabout Scout because I wanted to downsize and the Scout was on sale at a terrific price that day. I wasn't too concerned about price when I got the Yorkville and was surprised it only cost $500 Canadian. The Mesa was considerably more money.

But the Yorkville served me very well and I was surprised at the amount of volume I could get without having to use an extension cabinet. I used the line out to the PA on one show and it worked well.

And as I said before, unbeatable warranty with the Yorkville.

As far as the Backline goes-don't buy it. I like GK very much but not the Backline series. It's low end stuff for beginners and I wouldn't use it for pro gigs. The other GK gear is great.

8. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    edit: oh yea, and the GK stuff i have is not a combo, but a seperate head and cab.

i just bought a new Gallien-Krueger Backline 600 300 watt head with a 115 BLX-II cab. i like it a lot, though it has been clipping a lot. also, the 115 is meant to only handle 200 watts at 8 ohms, so yea... i play for a 200 people or so church, so it serves me well enough. i also go the package at a fairly good deal, well under $400 after taxes.

9. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I think so...but try it out

10. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Don't know about the GK, or Ampeg amps you've mentioned. but IMHO the Yorkville sounds way better than the Workingman's amps. (the SWR pro stuff sounds great, but thats another thread)

I think you will like the Yorkville. And, it has a two year "even if you break it" warranty!

11. Naidon

Naidon

Aug 17, 2003
    new jersey
    thanks for the advice, i'll check the stuff out at a store sometime