Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good combo for my 5 stringer

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Saorex, Nov 14, 2005.

1. Saorex

Saorex

Mar 7, 2004
    Quebec, Canada
    Hi guys.

First, I play death metal. Second, I own an ESP LTD F-255.

I'm currently in university and can't afford a nice lamp head and cab. So I'm looking for a rather small combo (40 to 60 watts) in which my B string would still sound great. I'm looking for something with high definition but also a great heavy sound.

Please post your suggestions or links to similar topics... Thanks a lot!

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    death metal and only 60 watts?

that's not gonna happen. YOU sir are the example i'll use when i say, "whatever the guitarist wattage, you multiply 4x to find how much wattage you need as a bassist."

3. Saorex

Saorex

Mar 7, 2004
    Quebec, Canada
    Hahahha! I know that! But that amp won't be used for gigs, only for practicing. I'm just really tired of my old amp in which my B String sounds like **** as soon as I hit it a bit too much! ;)

Any ideas now that I have made this precision? I want something under 80 pounds...

4. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    I think you're expecting a little too much. Unless your guitarists are playing acoustic, you're gonna need way more than 40-60ss watts. now tube watts may be a different story, but i think it's rather hard to find a really cheap tube combo.

Another thing is that great low end = high wattage. You're gonna have to compromise on something. IMO

5. Saorex

Saorex

Mar 7, 2004
    Quebec, Canada
    I see... Well, let's pretend I always play alone in my bedroom! Hahaha! Does a small combo with great low-end exist? Or I am just looking for something I'll bever find? Thanks again!

6. Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    i tried to edit that post twice and it wouldn't let me for some reason, so i gave up lol.

well there are some cheaper combos with kind of nice low end...then there are some combos with GREAT low end that are expensive. Do you know what type of range you're talking about fo price?

7. Saorex

Saorex

Mar 7, 2004
    Quebec, Canada
    I'd say between $400 and $700 bucks... I know it's not that much. But if I need to pay more, I'll just wait 2 years, finish university, get a job, make tons of money and get a huge 2000 watts lamp kit! Hahaha!

8. Saorex

Saorex

Mar 7, 2004
    Quebec, Canada
    Up... (I don't know if this is tolerated here. If not, just delete this post please).

Thanks!

9. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Get an old Peavey TKO combo and do as I did (casters, tweeter, ...). I even use them for small gigs (only one at a time -just one time I used both and was asked to immediately turn down-) and have no problem with my Stingray 5's low B. Cheap and nice sounding (with some upgrades -cheap also-). Just not precisely small and light (therefore, the casters). Good luck!

ANDRUCA

10. Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    OTOH, i have a Peavey TNT and it can't handle my roscoe's low B for its life.

11. getz76

getz76

Apr 3, 2005
    Hoboken, NJ
    That's plenty on the used market. The Nemesis 210P comes to mind. You could actually get a Ashdown MAG300/Avatar B212 combination for around that price.

"Lamp"? I think you mean amp. Just FYI, it is the second time you made the reference in the thread.

12. Pneuma

Pneuma

Feb 14, 2004
    Arkansas
    The peavey BAMs do pretty well. I'd sell you mine, but I'm afraid the conversion rate and shipping would shoot that down. But if you can find one used up there, you might give it a try.

Finding an Eden combo might work also, if you can snag one used.

P.

13. Saorex

Saorex

Mar 7, 2004
    Quebec, Canada
    I mean lamp amp. I'm sorry, but in French, we often call tubes "lamps" and I translated the word directly... my mistake.

You guys talked about Peavey... Right now I have a 10 years old TKO-115 (80 watts if I'm right). It sounds great and the EQ's not bad at all. But like I said, the low-end is not that good. When I hit my B-string too much (and it's not that much), it sounds like someone is spitting on a sheet of paper! Hahaha! I guess you understand what I mean. Would it be possible to use a tweeter, of something else to add shapness to its sound?