good combo i can hook an extension can to

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by melvin, May 8, 2001.

1. melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    i need a combo thats around 150-200 watts that i can hook an ext cab too. i need one that is really portable. i will be playing a lot of types of music, punk funk jazz you name it and theres a good chance ill play it. it also should get good sound when using effects because i started a band as a joke (its a techno band i started because it was gonna be my occupation in some mock trials but i decided to really do it).so any suggestions would be nice. oh yeah price range is within 500 to around 800.
  2. If not mistaken, the Carvin PB-200 is 160 watts and can hook up an extension cab. it goes fairly cheap too.
  3. Jman

Mar 24, 2000
    You can pick up a Genz Benz and use a cab from these guys or check out a used Nemisis which you can also use a cab.There's alot of decent amps out there for that kind of money.I use a Genz Benz GBE250C 2 x 10's and a Genz 15" cab very clean sound and very tonal they use a blendable tube/F.E.T. preamp.Gives you alot of range.Hope this helps,Good Luck
  4. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    IMHO the only way to go is Peavey BAM210. 2x10 pumps out 350 watts w/o an extension cab, and 500 with one. Has tons of effects, amp modeling, etc. etc. Compressor... DDT compression. All 9 yards. I believe they're kinda costly though.
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You can get a used SWR Super Redhead or Eden Metro for $750 - $850.

Go used. More bang for the buck.:)
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    This time I'll second you, Jeff.
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I got your back.;)
  8. I'm with Jman. The Genz-Benz 250c combos are great!! I have the 1x15" model and I'm almost scared to hook an extension cab to it.....almost ;)
    The combos are very clean and plenty powerful.
    Check one out if you get the chance.
  9. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Not a bad way to go, but a little pricey (for Peavey).

You could also go with a Peavey Combo 115 (or one of the discontinued Combo 210 TXs, if you can find one). Both pump 210 watts as is, 300 watts with a 4-ohm extension cab. Nine band eq, online compressor, crossover, etc. Nice amps. Sound real good too.

I used my Combo 115 with a 210 TXF cab and it was righteous.
  10. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    210TX's are awesome too, I agree.
    I had one and ran it with a 410TXF cab, it sounded sweet. It got REALLY loud too.
  11. captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    i'd say genz benz. but also, swr workingmans's 15, nemesis 2x10 (maybe 4x10 but not sure of the $)...can't think of any other combos worth recommending for that $.

if you could spend 1100-ish bux, can deliver an swr silverado to your door (350 watts (bass 350 power section) + 2 12's and a horn =sweet). but for that money you can get into a head and cab. it just depends, i guess...
  12. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I disagree, the 210TX will be much better than a SWR WM combo, and much better than a Genz Benz. I've had presonal experience with all of these. Genz Benz tend to get too many highs, quite clicky if you finger pick. I tried to finger pick as gently as possible, yet still got too many highs.

Nothing that's made to be cheap will be good. Peavey (contrary to popular opinion) isn't made to be cheap. It's not a "lesser line" Genz Benz doesn't seem to really make *good* equipment, IMHO.

I suggest going with the Peavey combo, it'd probably be the best of all mentioned.

Although, I do suggest trying all of them out. Find what's best for you.